Thread: Should I or shouldn't I: Besson 766S

Should I or shouldn't I: Besson 766S

I heard from a friend in Charlotte, NC that the private high school he teaches at has a used Besson 766S (3+1, compensating, silver) for sale. According to the band director, there are no major dents, and they had it reconditioned in 2005. The asking price is $1500.

I've seen the Besson name in the past, but don't know anything about Besson or the various models beyond what I've been able to find in the forums here.

Any insight/opinions on the 766? Is it worth taking a day off of work to drive over and check it out, and is $1500 a fair price?

TIA.

2. Should I or shouldn't I: Besson 766S

A Besson 765 is a non-compensating horn as far as I know. Are you sure this is a compensating horn? If it is a recent compensating model, it would be a 968 or 967. If an earlier (pre-late 70's) I am not sure what the model numbers are but it would most likely either be an Imperial or a New Standard.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Ask them if the 3 main valves have tuning slides on the BACK side. If so, it's compensating. If not, it isn't.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Wichita Band Instruments (http://www.wichitaband.com/used2.html#lobrass) has two Besson 766s for sale that are described as compensating horns. They're asking $1600 and $1700, so $1500 looks like a reasonable price (depending, of course, on the quality and condition).

According to the photos posted there, these really are compensating. However, they are also 3-valve models. That sort-of tickles my memory (that a 766 is a 3-valve comp.).

Some people like the 3-valve compensating models. They play nicely and solve the intonation problems of 1&3 and 123. But you would lose the register between low E concert and pedal B-flat concert.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium