Sponsor Banner

Collapse

A Desert Island, and which one piece of music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suetuba
    • May 2006

Dave said in another part of the forum that if he were stranded on a desert island with his euphonium, he would want to have Arban as his one book. I won't hold him to that piece, as it was in the context of saying how good Arban is, but it got me thinking:

what one book or one piece of music would you have for your desert island?

If I am stranded with my tuba on a desert island I would have to have the Bach Cello Suites. I know that's the book for me, as it's already got me through one tough experience.

Many years ago, I got caught in a cyclone in Darwin, and whilst huddled alone at 2am in the little workshop room under the elevated house, that was the safest place in the building, I thought, if I am going to die, and it really felt like a possibility, I am going to die playing Bach.

My tuba was in the workshop too, as I had put it there earlier that night, being too tired/lazy to carry it upstairs. I started at Suite No 1 while cyclonic winds roared around me, and I played until I fell asleep over my tuba around the middle of Suite No 4. I woke when the eye of the storm went over - eerie silence- played up to the end of the Prelude of No 5, fell asleep again, and woke up when it was all over!
    And to this day, 23 years later, I've never got around to playing Suite No. 6!
    Sue
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

Arban's uber alles!

I have my Arban's book and just started taking lesson again after a slight 38 year break. My copy cost $5 when I bought it in 1963. Many of the assignments in the lesson book were dated 1964....It is one of the old "Green" base clef copies that does not have the 150 or so 2 and 3 line songs that Dave talked about in another email.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Arbans for me too.

I can identify with you Doug. My copy of Arbans was also $5. Got it when I was taking private trumpet lessons in 1960 - so it's treble clef version. It's still in pretty good shape because I had a 33 yr break.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
      ​

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: suetuba
        ...I would have to have the Bach Cello Suites. I know that's the book for me, as it's already got me through one tough experience.
        Good story! Thanks for sharing.

It's interesting the way our mind/emotions work, isn't it? There are a few pieces of music that are very special to me because of experiences in my life. Some are unlikely enough that anyone but me might have trouble imaging how they could be special.

Anyway, there's no doubt the cello suites are great works and terrific to work on.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• keithbarton
          • Mar 2006

Well, I could always make up my own exercises in place of not having an Arban book, which is a great choice. Don't know about the Bach Cello suites, I am ignorant, as Arthur told me. But I would be sneaky for my choice. I'd take the two Art of Euphonium books and glue them together and make one book. That way, I'd have exercises, solos, and lots of reading and good info.

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Actually, the Cello Suites (which I play almost every day) was my second choice. I love them because they can be played emotionally or technically, or both. There is so much room for interpretation! But if given the choice, I would still pick Arban's becaus I have memorized about half of the cello suites...(at least enough to fill up 30 min of playing each day!)

Doug
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• suetuba
              • May 2006

What are the Art of Euphonium books? Forgive my ignorance too, as I am really a tubist, not a euphoniumist. And I am sure the students I teach on euphonium ought to know of these books too! ( More to torment them with, yay!)
              Please let me know! Author, publisher, availability etc.
              Sue

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: suetuba

What are the Art of Euphonium books?
                They are 2 books written be Arthur Lehman. Originally they both had an LP and a sort-of method book with music examples from the recording. The Tuba-Euphonium Press has them, but volume 1 does not have the LP any longer.

Tuba-Euphonium Press - Euphonium Texts

The complete recordings are available from John Johnson. See this blog post:

Arthur Lehman Recordings

Highly recommended!
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• keithbarton
                  • Mar 2006

I've got those John Johnson recordings, too. I managed to acquire, thru my high school band director, who retired as Director of the University of Memphis Band (long story), the two Art of Euphonium books and the two LP records in pristine condition. There is nothing dry and boring about these books. Very lively and well-written in my humble opinion. I think you could read each book five times and learn something new with each reading.

Comment

• suetuba
                    • May 2006

thanks! I'll be chasing these up. Not entirely sure who Arthur Lehman is, but I have seen him spoken of glowingly in these columns.
                    Sue

Comment

• keithbarton
                      • Mar 2006

Sue, give me an email address and I will send you way more info about Arthur than you thought was possible.

thats me and him in the pic, 2004,, he is on the right!

Comment

Working...
                      X