Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

I just had my first church performance on my new Weril H980S euphonium. Oops, I stained my white dress shirt.

Can somebody recommend a good grime gutter for my horn. Does Yamaha make one for the YEP 321? Would it work on the H980 since it is a clone? Please include a link to a place where I can order one.

If there are other solutions to consider, please instruct.

Thank you

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Check this thread:

Catching Water
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Mr. Werden,

Thank you. I have emailed SteveS a message. I'm curious how his solution is working for him. I wish were handy in the tool shop. There is appearently no product on the market to collect grime for the YEP-321. With so many of them on the market, I could really make a killing. I'm sure band director would like to have these to keep their band uniforms clean.

Eric

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Eric,

Someone, somewhere mentioned using a small 'shower cap' type of thing under their valves. I thought I recently read somewhere that either Harold Brasch or Art Lehman had this type of arrangement attached under his valves. I went looking for that info -- but couldn't find it (looked in Vol 1 $ 2 of "The Art of Euphonium Playing" by Art Lehman, and "The Euphonium and Four Valve Brasses" by Harold Brasch).

But I would think you could make something fairly simple that would fit under all four of your valves. Look for a large black sport sock in a store with a stretchy elastic upper. Then cut off most of the sock and then with a sewing machine, sew across the bottom opening (I would think 2 to 3 inches would be enough to work). Of course, you would turn the sock inside out before sewing. Then when you turn it right side out, there would be extra material to act like a wick for absorbency. And... it's washable too.

Just a suggestion.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Necessity is the mother of invention. Here is the simple and inexpensive solution.

Step 1:

Cut ladies tube sock at ankle.

Step 2:

Roll foot section of sock and stuff it into elastic ankle section.

Step 3:

Simply stretch the elastic over the bottom of the valve cluster. This works best with a sock with plenty of elastic. Otherwise, it will be necessary to sew a seam on the bottom to keep the rolled up section from falling out.

To me, this is functional, looks adequate and best of all, it's machine washable!

Thanks RickF for pointing me in this direction!

On second thought, I could have used an newborn-sized black knitted cap.

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

After years of folding beer mats (bar cloths), usually guiness ones, under my valves the silverplated tubes were a god sent. Until that is you rested your euph across your knees on its side & all the water came straight out onto your legs in a oner! This was once the sponges I had added into the ends were over full.

Then I got hold of the Miraphone 5000's 'T' piece version- again a silver plated cylinder that fitts under the top three valves, but with another tube going straight down in the center which can be pulled out to be emptied, has to be adapted to fit most other euphs though.

Now I've got a "Jo-Ral Grime Gutter".
    This is a rubberized unit that goes over the bottom of the top three valves.
    Its Black, dosn't scratch or rattle on anything, a piece of felt sits in the base to exorb the water & I haven't had it leak yet!
    One size is supposed to fit baritones, euphoniums and Basses.
    It retails around £6.95
    I have fitted it on (it is quite stretchy) so the hole in the bottom caps has a lot of clearence from the felt inside. This allows plenty of air flow so the valve efficiency is not at all effected.

I'm very happy with it & I am very fussy!

Dave

I wish I could figure out how to add photos it would make things more interesting & explanitory.
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Hi Dave,

Is this what you're referring to?

Here's a link for baritone / euph if it is:
    Jo-Ral Grime Gutter
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Now then Rick

"I thats the one!"

How do you get the photos on then??
    They won't cut & paste & I can't find any import type buttons to click...

Dave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Cortios 167 II

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Originally posted by: ydave

Now then Rick

"thats the one!"

How do you get the photos on then??

Dave
    You need to use a host server to post pictures. Most of the time when I find a picture on the web, I let what ever site I found that picture on to host it for my post. . If there's a picture I want to share with the forum, I 'right-click' on the photo (a window pops up), then click on 'properties' (another window opens). Then I highlight the URL that ends in 'jpg' 'bmp' etc (left-click at the beginning and move to the right until the whole link is highlighted). Then 'right-click' on the highlighted part - then click 'copy'. Now that link is copied to your clip board on your PC.

When you get to the area you want to post, click on the little picture icon just to the right of the 'underline' icon or above "select emotion"... a window pops up asking you for a script prompt. Just right-click in the blank line, then 'paste'. When you click 'preview' (of submit or reply), you should see the image in your post.

If you have a picture on your PC, you'll need to have a server host that picture for you so you can link to it. I use 'Photobucket'... but there are several. Most of them are free as long as you don't try to store too much.

Hope this helps.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Grime Gutter for YEP 321

Thanks again Rick
    Lets give it a go....

This is the 5000's T piece gutter:

Dave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Cortios 167 II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast