Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a mouthpiece of my own

I need a mouthpiece of my own

Originally posted by: JP
    Can you elaborate on how the sound quality from the 5G is better than the 6 1/2 AL? I play the 6 1/2 AL and it sounds stuffy to me. John
    Your question wasn't directed to me, but I've had experience with both mouthpieces and have a few pertinant observations.

Both mouthpieces are of excellent quality and can produce a very nice sound. I use them both on an old Conn 3 valve (.570" bore, I think).

The 61/2 produces a bright and focussed tone, is easy to play in the higher registers, and requires less air than the 5G. The tone tends toward a "baritone" like quality. It requires less strength and endurance in the embouchure. I think it would be well suited for Marching Band and similar situations. I like to play jazz standards with this mouthpiece (and this horn).

The 5G produces, well, a more "euphonius" tone. It is darker and richer and more sonorous. The price you pay is more air, and it requires more strength in the embouchure. The higher range requires notably more strength. Think "more work". It may be a better choice for Symphonic Band or Wind Ensemble.

The 61/2 can be thought of as an "easier" mouthpiece and the 5G more "advanced" because of the demands on the embouchure, but again, they are both very good. Compared to a Schilke 51D, I find that they are more responsive and allow better articulation.

The Bach mouthpieces are very reasonably priced and readily available, and you may well consider owning both of them.

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Brass Blower said,
    "Try to find a place that will let you try a couple.If you cant find one I would use a 5g."
    I know that Mouthpiece Express lets you purchase a number of mpc's to try, then you can return the ones you don't want (within 15 days) and get a refund minus a 10% restocking fee.

Mouthpiece Express (return policy)
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks Dave & Carroll. Your comments were helpful. The stuffy sound is probably me. I don't need "more work" right now in that I have limited practice time available, so will probably stick with the 6 1/2 AL.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12