Thread: Saxhorn

Saxhorn

Recently on Youtube I saw a video of " Opus 333" quartet, which they played the saxhorn " Willsax" (https://youtu.be/joz5fJmANho). I liked the sound of these horns, more towards the sound of the trombone, but at the same time sweet and warm like the euphonium. Any thoughts?
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Beautiful sound. But to me they sound more like horns (French) than trombones.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I played on one of those horns at the 2016 ITEC in Knoxville at the Willson booth (actually a separate room away from the big room which was nice). Those are REALLY fun horns. I would like to have one, but not sure how I would use it. I already have 3 euphoniums, 4 trombones, a tuba and a Yamaha Disklavier, oh yeah, a Taylor guitar, a ukulele, a recorder and probably some other stuff I forgot about, soooooo, my thinking is I am married to a Saint who has indulged my musical fantasies for many, many years, and I probably should not press my luck.

But, I am going to play one of those again at ITEC 2019 in Iowa in late May / early June. I saw those same dudes (Opus 333) mentioned above playing at ITEC, they are Willson artists and collaborate with Willson on the saxhorn. They are good players, the horns and the guys. I will probably need to leave my check book at home, lest I become tempted.

I don't hear so much trombone in them, I would have to say more a cross between a euphonium and a baritone sound, but I can't remember exactly from 3 years ago. But I have met few instruments I don't like, my weakness in life...…..nor few music stores in unfamiliar towns that I won't venture into.....
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)