Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Besson 2051 Prestige

Doug: I'm seeing this for the first time in 2019 lol, as I sit in my office at the VA Medical Center near Sacramento where I work as a therapist. I took at least a 10 year break from playing. I had a Yamaha 642S after I sold you the Prestige. More recently I got back into playing with a community band near my home (Rancho Cordova River City Concert Band) and for going on 2 months now, I've been playing a John Packer 242S MkII. It seems to have been modeled on the Prestige by designers who used to work at B&H and so reminds me of the Prestige, which I quickly regretted selling on one hand, but was happy you were putting it to such good use on the other hand. Do you still own it today?

2. Arnie,

In 2009 I purchased a Sterling at the factory which I still own and which is my primary horn. I kept the Prestige for quite a few years and alternated between the Sterling and the Prestige depending on the repertoire and my mood. I started having tendonitis problems in my left arm and needed a lighter "triggerless" horn to use when the Sterling became painful, so in late 2013, I sold the Prestige to one of my former colleagues from the local community band. I purchased a 2002 Sovereign 967 and converted the leadpipe and receiver to one from a York Eminence with the mid-pipe brace from a Prestige. I plated the valve caps, finger buttons, and water keys gold and ended up with a "triggerless" Prestige 2052 equivalent. Played awesome, had the wonderful Besson valve action and looked like a new horn...BUT those sharp 6th partials! In March of 2017, Miel Adams was in Boston and he and Trent Austin (the local dealer) made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I traded the Sovereign in on an Adams E3 prototype with short-action, top-sprung valves. This horn is better in tune, lighter, and has even better valve action than the Besson. The Adams served me well this last May (2018) when I fell and broke the 2nd/3rd valve fingers in my right hand. I played the Adams for 6 months. I even did 16 hour recording session the 2 days after breaking my hand and a recital in Reno, NV the week after that.

So now the Sterling is my primary with the Adams my backup when I am dealing with tendon/hand/finger problems.

Doug

PS I am a native of Modesto, CA. I will be back this summer (late September) for my 50th HS reunion. Glad to hear you are in CA....
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone & Conn 24I/25I euphonium
    New England Brass Band/Metropolitan Wind Symphony
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

Wow. Interesting history. I've been following Algirdas Matonis on youtube and he influenced me in my decision to get the JP to get me started back into community band. I love the horn. At some future down-the-road happenstance, I'm considering the Adams E2, but I'll wait for an opportunity to play one hopefully at some sort of tuba/euphonium trade show. I'm new to the band I'm playing in now but would like to interest my euphonium partner and two of the tubists to form a tuba/euphonium quartet for some chamber music. We'll see. By the way, I did attend my wife's 50 HS reunion in Angel's Camp last year. It was a hoot. Sorry to hear about your fall/broken fingers, but impressed with all the music you are making. Best.

Reading about the history an instrument went through sure is amazing. I love reading where a horn's been, whose hands it passed through.

Currently using the JP274 too! I've never tried other professional level brands before, except an old Meinl-Weston, which I found to be difficult to play on compared to my JP274. Loving the horn so far
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. And always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euphonium)"

Euphonium: JP 274 MKII
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL,Arnolds & sons 6 1/2 AL-B
    Gone but not forgotten: Yamaha EP100 (May you serve the children well in the hands of your new owner. Thank you for the past 15 years)

Christiane: Loving the horn is 99 percent of the battle, right? If you love it and it makes good music and blends well in the environment you play it in, its pedigree may just not matter all that much. Glad you are making good use of the JP; I keep counting my blessings that I was able to get one in such short order and put it to valuable use right away. Loving my new Rancho Cordova River City Concert Band.