• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

New Besson 2051 Prestige

To my fellow members of Dave Werden's forum:

An update after nearly 6 months with my almost new Besson 2051-2 Prestige (formerly Arnie Williams horn)....

One of the reasons I love my horn is that it comes with Steven Mead behind it!

1. Since I received the horn in August of 2007, Mr. Mead has been gracious enough to answer a number of email questions personally. EVERY one of these email questions regarding the new Prestige has been answered within 1-2 days of when I sent the email. I found out that the horn was built on January 21, 2007 and tested by him on January 26, 2007. Thit puts the horn in the 3rd batch built by the new Besson.

2.My horn shipped without the "water reservoir" since Besson did not have them in production yet. I sent a note to Mr. Mead about this and he told me that Besson had problems with the first batch of reservoirs so they shipped horns without them. I do not have a direct relationship with Dillon Music (from whom the horn was originally purchased) which made following up on this more difficult. Besson had supplied Mr. Mead with an extra stash of the little boogers just to help those like me. Today, two of the water reservoirs (grime buckets) that attach under the valves arrived in the mail with a personal note from Steve Mead. Since I only need one, he asked me to get hold of anyone else in similar straits (John Jones...check your PM)!

3. I was having some problems with centering high B (above Bb) and high D (concert pitch). John Jones had reported a similar problem with his 967S. Steve Mead siggested some alternate fingerings. I have since found that high B centers pretty well using 3rd valve and high D works using 2nd valve. (John Jones...let me know you feedback).

I just finished playing my annual holiday concerts, so some more feedback is in order:

4. In my local group, the Nashoba Valley Community Band, I played mostly bassoon parts (which we lack) and found the extended low range of the new Prestige to be fabulous. I had no problem getting a robust, warm sound in the range below low-F down to pedal Bb, even at very low volume levels to balance with the woodwind section.

5. In my small group, the Middlesex Brass Quintet, I was able to play with enough finesse and a focused enough sound that the horn did not overwhelm the rest of the group the way my older Sovereign 967 had. Instead of being forced to play trombone exclusively, I was able to switch between trombone and euphonium easily, using the euphonium for most parts, including the wonderful lead lines in Jack Gale's arrangement of Maria from West Side Story.

6. In my professional group, the New England Wind Ensemble, my fellow professional players commented on the beauty and richness of the sound. I had been concerned that the smaller 2051 model would not be able to sing above the ensemble during solo parts. I need not have worried. The horn sounded great and intonation and balance were achieved with MUCH less effort on my part due to the responsiveness throughout the range.

That is it for now, but sign me off as a very happy owner of a Besson Prestige!

Doug Ruby

P.S.I want to add a special thanks to Arnie Williams for selling me the horn. New Prestige's are VERY hard to come by!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Eupharnold
      • Apr 2007

New Besson 2051 Prestige

Doug:

I knew the Prestige was moving into good hands when you bought it. Already impressed by your considerable skills, I was even more impressed that you elected to go with a pro-level teacher and pretty much begin working on the basics again. And then today, in our phone conversation, I learned that we have a love for bicycling in common. What a small world.

It's sad to give up a horn that you love, but it's a happy event to know that it has landed in the arms of a true enthusiast who will give it the care and playing time it deserves.

So best of luck with your many euphonium adventures to come.

And thanks for the New Year wishes.

--An admirer

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

New Besson 2051 Prestige

RE: "formerly Arnie Williams horn"

Has anyone else had the experience of comparing a brand new horn to an identical model that has been played a bit? Ever since college I started to notice that almost all horns play nicer as they get some miles on them. It was a minor bother for me as we were working hard on evolving the Sterling. I would get a new one every 3-6 months so I could test the new modifications in a performance situation. At that point I would send back the previous one. In each case, the new one didn't feel as comfortable, even though there was a gradual improvement from sample to sample.

I noticed it especially when I was playing Besson. I got a new Sovereign after trying Bob Campbell's 967 at an event. But when it came it was much stuffier. In fact, I could hardly make a low C concert (1-3-4) come out at all. After a few weeks of playing it felt better, and the 4th valve range was starting to slot. But I still didn't like the overall feel and sound so I had another one sent out. When I got the new one I had the same trouble in the 4th valve range. It took a few weeks of playing that one before it got comfortable. (And then it got better month after month.)

The experience with the 967 demonstrated that it was not just ME getting used to a new model. I was pretty well used to the first sample when the second one came, but I could hardly play the second one for a while.

So Doug was smart to avoid the breaking in period - he just got Arnie Williams to do it for him!
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• twoodard
          • Oct 2006

New Besson 2051 Prestige

Doug,
          I didn't get the water reservoir with the Besson 2052 that I bought from Dillon in May of 07. I called Dillon a couple of months ago to inquire about one and they said they would get back to me about it, but I haven't heard from them and I just haven't thought to pursue it. If the extra one is not spoken for yet I would appreciate the chance to get it from you. If not, should I just e-mail Mr. Mead through his website and inquire about it?

I recently went to a college alumni function at my old alma mater and played at the homecoming game with the band. I took my new horn to show a few of my old college buddies (I did not intended to play it at the game!). It was like a magnet to all the college euphers. Six of the students came over to see the horn. One of the guys had recently bought a Hirshbruner professional euph and I was horrified when he told me that his 2nd valve always gets stuck. I played his horn a little and his valves were grainy and rough. His horn came in a box rapped in bubble rap and he had to buy a case after it came in. He played my horn for a few minutes and loved it. I really felt sorry for him because the difference between my horn and his was so great.

I am so happy that I waited for this horn. I have played 3 concerts with it. I performed a Danny Boy solo on two of those concerts and it easily sang above the band. I can only agree with all the positive comments you've made. Very centered sound with excellent valve action. The high Eb, F (and still working on the G) two octave above the staff just pops out and my range is still increasing. The SM3 mouthpiece works the best for me (I own SM 3.5 and 4 as well). I've also noticed that the horn has opened up more in the last couple of months and I've had no problem other that the clear plastic shield cracked around the trigger slide so I put the brass one on and problem solved. I want to get another one to replace it with though. Has anyone else had a problem with the plastic shield cracking?

Terry Woodard

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

New Besson 2051 Prestige

Terry,

Steve Mead gave me an extra water reservoir. I can send it to you. PM me your address. As regards the plastic shield, mine is in good shape. I would send contact Dillon but you might also email Mr. Mead about that. (By the way, my horn did not come with the metal shield, just the plastic one.)

Doug
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
              • Jan 2019

Doug: I'm seeing this for the first time in 2019 lol, as I sit in my office at the VA Medical Center near Sacramento where I work as a therapist. I took at least a 10 year break from playing. I had a Yamaha 642S after I sold you the Prestige. More recently I got back into playing with a community band near my home (Rancho Cordova River City Concert Band) and for going on 2 months now, I've been playing a John Packer 242S MkII. It seems to have been modeled on the Prestige by designers who used to work at B&H and so reminds me of the Prestige, which I quickly regretted selling on one hand, but was happy you were putting it to such good use on the other hand. Do you still own it today?
              Arnold (Arnie) Williams
              Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
              Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
              Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
              Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
              Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
              Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

Arnie,

In 2009 I purchased a Sterling at the factory which I still own and which is my primary horn. I kept the Prestige for quite a few years and alternated between the Sterling and the Prestige depending on the repertoire and my mood. I started having tendonitis problems in my left arm and needed a lighter "triggerless" horn to use when the Sterling became painful, so in late 2013, I sold the Prestige to one of my former colleagues from the local community band. I purchased a 2002 Sovereign 967 and converted the leadpipe and receiver to one from a York Eminence with the mid-pipe brace from a Prestige. I plated the valve caps, finger buttons, and water keys gold and ended up with a "triggerless" Prestige 2052 equivalent. Played awesome, had the wonderful Besson valve action and looked like a new horn...BUT those sharp 6th partials! In March of 2017, Miel Adams was in Boston and he and Trent Austin (the local dealer) made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I traded the Sovereign in on an Adams E3 prototype with short-action, top-sprung valves. This horn is better in tune, lighter, and has even better valve action than the Besson. The Adams served me well this last May (2018) when I fell and broke the 2nd/3rd valve fingers in my right hand. I played the Adams for 6 months. I even did 16 hour recording session the 2 days after breaking my hand and a recital in Reno, NV the week after that.

So now the Sterling is my primary with the Adams my backup when I am dealing with tendon/hand/finger problems.

Doug

PS I am a native of Modesto, CA. I will be back this summer (late September) for my 50th HS reunion. Glad to hear you are in CA....
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                  • Jan 2019

Wow. Interesting history. I've been following Algirdas Matonis on youtube and he influenced me in my decision to get the JP to get me started back into community band. I love the horn. At some future down-the-road happenstance, I'm considering the Adams E2, but I'll wait for an opportunity to play one hopefully at some sort of tuba/euphonium trade show. I'm new to the band I'm playing in now but would like to interest my euphonium partner and two of the tubists to form a tuba/euphonium quartet for some chamber music. We'll see. By the way, I did attend my wife's 50 HS reunion in Angel's Camp last year. It was a hoot. Sorry to hear about your fall/broken fingers, but impressed with all the music you are making. Best.
                  Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                  Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                  Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                    • Jun 2018

Reading about the history an instrument went through sure is amazing. I love reading where a horn's been, whose hands it passed through.

Currently using the JP274 too! I've never tried other professional level brands before, except an old Meinl-Weston, which I found to be difficult to play on compared to my JP274. Loving the horn so far
                    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                      • Jan 2019

Christiane: Loving the horn is 99 percent of the battle, right? If you love it and it makes good music and blends well in the environment you play it in, its pedigree may just not matter all that much. Glad you are making good use of the JP; I keep counting my blessings that I was able to get one in such short order and put it to valuable use right away. Loving my new Rancho Cordova River City Concert Band.
                      Arnold (Arnie) Williams

Comment

Working...
                      X