• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

Which branch is the best to go into?

Originally posted by: GregEuphonium

I was lucky enough to earn a meritorious promotion for graduating number 1 in my class of 25 musicians at the school of music, so I didn't have to take the rating exam in order to get promoted to E-4.
    Congratulations. That's a heckuvan accomplishment.

Comment

• bpwilliams
      • Oct 2008

Greg,
      I read in Program Notes that the Navy has removed the trombone doubling requirement. Has this had any effect on your duty station choices?
      Also, I am glad that another Western MA euphonium player was 1st in the class. I did it in 1983.
      Brian

Comment

• GregEuphonium
        • Jun 2007

Hi Brian,
        I apologize for not responding when you originally posted your question many months ago. I'm not exactly sure how removing the doubling requirement will effect duty station choices, that is something that has yet to be seen. The way things will work now is, everyone who has already achieved qualification on a secondary instrument (ie, I am qualified on both euph and trombone) will have the option to either keep or drop their secondary instrument qualification when they change duty stations, no sooner than that.

I will predict (this is just what I am assuming... this hasn't been proven) that for people who play euphonium, if you choose to get rid of your qualification on trombone, this will end up severely limiting your choice of duty station since you can only go to bands with an opening for euph. As opposed to having the second instrument qualification and choosing to go to a band that might not have a euphonium opening, but does have a trombone opening. I just happened to be the very last navy euphonium player to graduate from the navy school of music who was required to play both euph and trombone, and I am definitely going back and forth on whether or not I would want to drop my trombone qualification when I eventually move onto my next band... I think that whether or not I drop my trombone qual will mostly be dependent on whether or not there is a euphonium opening in one of the bands that I want to go to next. We'll see... though it sure would be nice to be able to devote 100% of my practice time to euphonium instead of having to split it between two instruments like I do now!

-Greg

PS, it's great to see that I'm not the only euph player from western mass to come through the military bands... I thought I was the only one! haha.
        Gregory E. Lopes
        Euphonium player
        US Navy Band Great Lakes
        US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• bpwilliams
          • Oct 2008

Greg,
          No worries. My advice would be to keep the trombone qualification if you plan on staying in for a while. If you are only going to do one hitch then deeo six it when you transfer.
          Brian

Comment

• MC
            • Jan 2006

Hi Folks:

Just browsing ... probably ought not stick my nose in this, but here's something you might want to consider:

First off, all of the "Premiere Bands" pull from pretty much the same audition pool - you've got to be pretty good to get in any of them.

Having said that, I've got to say that at least when I was in the Marine Band ("The President's Own"), each band had a distinct personality and although the premiere bands do audition folks from more or less the same pool, it might be worth your time to become acquainted with the bands - their history, their structure, their function, etc., before you go down and audition.

Some bands are more military-minded, some are more symphonic, some are more laid-back and some are amazingly intense.

Some never march, some march a lot; some rarely do military ceremonies, some have separate units that only do ceremonies

This all impacts on the band's personality - and on the personalities of the musicians in the band.

You can discern a little of this by critically listening to each band live (summer concerts in DC, for instance) or by listening to CD's (try your library).

I'd think, however, that your best bet would be to search out some of the more senior players - even former players - and take some lessons from them - not the occasional master class, but a nice series of actual lessons.

You don't have to ask them what they think of their band or of other bands; just do the lessons and get a feel for how they approach the Euphonium and ask yourself if that's the way you yourself would want to play.

Then, when you've figured which band fits your personality, go home and practice like you've never practiced before!

Good luck to all!

Glenn Call
            Marine Band: 1976-1981

Comment

Working...
            X