Thread: Will Auditioners "look" at your tuba...

1. Will Auditioners "look" at your tuba...

I am a very, well not wealthy tuba student, soon to br auditioning for college. I had a very limited choice when in came to tubas and the tuba I bought (which consiquently was one of my favorite tubas I have ever played) is an old prob around 1950-1970' Holton 3 valve tuba.

My Question is if some colleges facter in the type of tuba (almost all raw brass and only 3 valves) I have in with their decision? I know they are supposed to base their decisions on Technique but...

Will Auditioners "look

Colleges decide on various factors depending on who is doing the deciding. At an audition, if you show up with a giga-buck tuba it may give you a couple points because people assume it is usually a serious student who spends that much. On the other hand, it can be even more impressive to hear someone playing terrifically on a not-so-terrific instrument!

So I wouldn't worry about it. Spend your time making sure you know your music inside and out and that you are playing with with accuracy and fine musical expression. If you do that, the audition panel will hear what's inside you.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Will Auditioners "look

Taken to the extreme....

Right after I graduated from Univ. of California, Berkeley, I moved to Long Beach, Ca. to work for McDonnell-Douglas as a fledgling computer programmer. Cal State Long Beach (CSLB) had a fine music program with performance majors (which UCB did not have) and a great wind ensemble. During the fall football season, the wind ensemble rehearsed in the evenings, so I could fit it into my work schedule. Given that it was a "one on a part" ensemble, I had to audition into it.

The problem was that the only horn I had was an extremely worn out 1932 Pan American baritone my dad had given me after it had been stricken off the rolls at his junior high school. It had leaks in the lead pipe, 3rd valve slide, holes in the "out-pipe" from the valve block, a well dented bell and bottom bow, leaky valves, and no spit valve spring or cork on the main tuning slide. However, if you patched the leaks with masking tape, made a spitwad and used a rubber band to seal the spit valve, and liberally (very) oiled the valves, you could make it sound pretty nice.

So I showed up for the audition at the band ofice with only my incredibly well-used horn under my arm (no case or music mind you) and a letter of introduction from the director at UCB. Before I could audition, I asked the director if they had any masking tape. Hesitantly, they provided the tape and then started to laugh while I patched my horn. I then asked for a piece of paper and a rubber band. I tore the paper into a small square, folded it and chewed on it a bit to turn it into a suitable replacement for a spit valve cork (mmmm, delicious!). Finally they loaned me some valve oil so I could finish "preparing" my horn for the audition.

I warmed up for about 5 minutes (the patch job would only last for about an hour of playing and the valves had to be re-oiled every 10-15 minutes!) and then auditioned blind, no prepared music, just sight reading and excerpts of solos from memory.

I got the part and enjoyed playing with that group for over a year, until business travel precluded making a commitment to a musical group. I did manage to irritate some of the serious music performance majors, however....

Doug

P.S. Acouple of years later I treated the Pan-American to a rebuild and an old Mirafone gig bag. I still have the horn and it still plays wonderfully!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Will Auditioners "look

in the last couple of years I have had a few students at tertiary level with less-than-perfect instruments. However, their ability was obvious to the panel despite the limitations of the instruments.
    One has gone on to buy a good quality instrument by going for every scholarship available, until she had sufficient funds. Then, she decided to get a gig bag, and went for yet another scholarship!
    I am sure that the panel will understand that not everyone has bucketloads of money to buy tubas, and that they will be sufficiently wise to know the difference between the horn's problems and yours!
    Good luck
    Sue