Thread: King 4G Mouthpiece

1. King 4G Mouthpiece

Hello:

I am trying to find information about the king 4G mouthpiece, i had recently started to play on one by accident and I love it, so if someone out there can send me information or a comparison chart where these mouthpiece is included I will really be greatfull. just to make things clear when I said by accident I mean that just two weeks I was call to make a recording of some Bolivian folk music, so a rush out to the studio and when I got there and took out my HB euphonium I notice that my DW 4AL mouthpiece was not in my bag. So but for some reason these King 4G was in my bag, I can not even remember how it got there, but good thing that it was there because studio hours in Puerto Rico are very expensive and if I would complain about not having my equipment with me, people was going to get really mad at me for making them waist time and money, so please make sure that when you rush out of your house for a gig that you have all your equipment with you. So I recorded with these mouthpiece and I could not believe the sound and flexibility. I have been practicing with it from that moment on and I really like it, I just want to know to what other mouthpiece the King 4G is equivalent to.

Thanks
    Bartolo Vargas
    San Juan, Puerto Rico

King 4G Mouthpiece

Usually companies like King are copying the basic specs of the Bach line or Schilke line. In this case I suspect it is like a Bach 4G, which is a good mouthpiece and similar to the 4AL. You can find the specs for the Wick and the Bach on this page:

Euphonium Mouthpiece Comparison
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. King 4G Mouthpiece

Hello Dr. Werden:

Thank you very much for the information, I had already look at the chart that you send me because I had the same thought, but these mouthpiece is quite different from the Bach 4G and the DW 4AL. The cup of the King 4G is a little more deeper and it looks much more conical, but with a smaller throat or backbore than the other mouthpieces mentioned before. I will keep practicing on the King 4G for a couple of weeks to see if I feel the same about it. I also want to let you know that down here in Puerto Rico are some composers writing music for euphonium for a recital that I will be playing in november and that they had already composed music for me in the past. I will like to know how can I get these music to be publish. There is a Concerto for Euphonium and Brass Ensemble by Roberto Milano, quite difficult but very exciting and some other chamber and solo works by Prof. Armando Ramirez that are really good. These composers deserve a chance to get there music out to the world. I believe that these are the first composers from Puerto Rico to compose music for the euphonium and I want to help them to get there music known in the tuba and euphonium world. So if you could give some advice I will really be thankfull.

Bartolo Vargas
    Euphoniumist and Profesor of Ear Training, Theory,
    and Chamber Music of the Conservatory of of Puerto Rico