Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morceau de Concert

Morceau de Concert

First off, Dave, I'm maniacally impressed that you managed the Boccalari in high school.

Second, 2MuchTone, don't think of the piece as hard. It may sound odd, but try thinking of it as fun. This will help immensely.

2. Morceau de Concert

a very good point... often times, when trying to work out something that is considered "hard", it can really help of you use the challenge as motivation, and attempt to feel like you're having fun when practicing, instead of getting frustrated. Also... I wouldn't really compare the piece to Fantasia di Concerto... I don't really feel that they are quite on the same level.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

3. Morceau de Concert

Funny...I played Fantasia di concerto in h.s. as well. I did think it was hard, but I did the first half quite well. I struggled with the second half. What I remember the most is that it was LOOONG! What an enduro!

Doug

P.S. It was fun too
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Morceau de Concert

i just can't play that high that consistently

Morceau de Concert

Have you tried playing it down an octave? I've done this on pieces with high runs as it helped me get the idea in my head. That way, when I went to play it as written, I knew what to shoot for because I knew very well what it sounded like. I think that you can waste energy finding notes versus being able to just hit them.

Morceau de Concert

in my mind taking something down an octave is a sign of failure
    but i think i might have to do this when i'm faced with a high concert d...

Morceau de Concert

I'm not saying that you need to perform this an octave down, only practice it that way for a while. The idea is to be able to better hear the lines in your head which will, in turn, help you when you do play it in the octave. I've never performed down an octave, but I will quite often practice it that way to better get it in my head.

Morceau de Concert

Originally posted by: uieuph

I'm not saying that you need to perform this an octave down, only practice it that way for a while.
    This is excellent advice. I teach it to my students and I use it in my own practicing. Having the notes really solid in your head will help you play in a range that is not comfortable otherwise.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Morceau de Concert

cool

10. Morceau de Concert

Hello 2muchtone, how are you? high notes are not hard at all....it's a mental thing.....if you feel up with air, firm the corners, and blow you will not get it with JUST that. You need to relax, and tell yourself you got this! Because the first step of failing is saying you can't. I have cerebal palsy and if I through up my hands and said I can't, I'd be right. I'm sure you practice hard, but what good is that if you tell yourself you cannot play well in a certain area? Just a thought.
    God Bless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast