Thread: Need help purchasing a tuba

1. Need help purchasing a tuba

Hello there, Name's Josh.

Now I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll just put it here.

I've been playing tuba for 6 years, I started when I was in 7th grade. It was an odd transition, from Clarinet, to Tuba, but one I will never regret.

This fall, I will be attending Wright State University, in ohio, majoring in Music Performance.

While the school can provide a tuba, this will only happen when I start school. I will need something over the summer, and much more.

My Highschool currently supplies me with a Yamaha, I am not sure what model, but it's a 4 piston vavled tuba. I can't say I like it at all, which is mostly due to the fact that it was not properly taken care of.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a tuba, if you couldn't tell. I don't really know what makes a good tuba, or what the good brands are, but I was hoping you could help.

Thank you for your time.

2. Need help purchasing a tuba

Josh
    I have been going through much the same thing, although I am at the oppostie end of the playing spectrum than you. I have learned a lot from this site, and from sending PM's to various people, have figured out a bit about tubas.

You have a lot of things to consider, ie CC, BBb, F, Eb; valves vs. rotars and such... and cost! Some of that will depend on what you will be doing at Wright State (ensamble, solo, small group). Others here have a ton more info than I do, and pick their brains!

Best of luck!
    Ally

3. Need help purchasing a tuba

i just bought one in January...January 13th to be exact.
    I am sort of in the same boat as you, Josh. I've been playing for about two years. I'm also a converted clarinet player (well, clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor sax player). I started playing tuba my freshman year. I'm planning on going to college to major in music education with my primary instrument being tuba. I also played my schools yamahas. I started on a 3 piston valve BBb "convertible" tuba so i could play it for marching band and concert band. Then, one of the seniors gave me the 4 piston valve BBb yamaha that she had at her house for 3 years and never played. After some repairs, I got it to work.
    Anyways.... In January I went to Dillon's music in New Jersey with my parents and my tuba teacher to get a tuba. I played probably about a dozen different tubas that day. It was amazing. I fell in love with a brand new Miraphone 186. CC. 5 rotary valves. rose brass. it was beautiful, but expensive. we ended up going out for lunch, and when we got back i played the miraphone again, to make sure it was really the one i wanted. about 10 minutes later, my tuba teacher came in with a silver tuba. he said it was the same thing i was playing, just older, and less expensive. apparently, some guy came in 5minutes after we came back from lunch with a 1979 Mirafone 186 to sell on consignment. So, i played it and couldn't tell the difference between the old one and the new one. So, I am now the owner of a silver 1979 Mirafone 186. CC. 5 rotary valves. some of the silver is worn off so you can see the raw brass, but i think it gives the horn character.
    So, when buying a tuba, always test it out before you buy it. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. Personally, i like the rotary valves rather than the piston valves because i have smaller hands, so the rotary valves are easier for me to reach. i know some colleges have a preference as to what key the tuba is in. for most i think it's CC, but again, you should get whatever you're comfortable with. size is key too. size depends again on comfort, and what kind of ensemble you'll be playing with. my Mirafone is probably the biggest i could play comfortably because i am so small. but even though it's not the biggest tuba, it's a very versatile horn and can be used in pretty much any ensemble.
    I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

4. Need help purchasing a tuba

Well, I would like to try one out, but there doesn't seem to be any instrument stores close by. There is one, but they do not carry tuba's.

I'll discuss this with my instructor and parent's.