Thread: New to tuba: octave help

1. New to tuba: octave help

Hello all,

I am new to tuba and new to this board. I'm switching over to tuba after 12 years of saxophone. I taught myself how to play using beginner books, and yesterday was my first day playing in my band. I noticed right away that the other tuba players seemed to be playing an octave below me! What am I doing wrong? Are there any audio files with perhaps a tuba playing scales that I could use to make sure I'm playing in the right octave. I learned on a concert tuba, and I'm playing sousaphone in the band.

Thanks for any help you can give

2. New to tuba: octave help

You and the other players are all playing BBb tubas right? You could always use a piano to teach you the octaves?

New to tuba: octave help

hey dude, i would work from the pedal tone up to tuning f and learn from there. Or use a piano. It's funny that you have this problem. How did it happen!

4. New to tuba: octave help

Well he taught himself how to play, so I am guessing that instead of playing low Bb the first time he played high. And then he learned it as if that were the bass note. You can play all the notes in the higher range with the fingerings from the lower range...