X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrtxusa
    • Aug 2007

CC or Eflat Tuba?

I need help. I want to buy a really good horn. I have played on a yamaha and a meinl BBb, but I sold them. Someone recommended buying a Besson 981. What are the advantages of an E flat tuba over BBb or CC? Does is make those high notes alot easier? (I can bearly hit a high F above the scale with poor tone. Will the E flat allow me to go higher with ease and maybe hit the BBb an octave above the scale? Also, any recommendations on playing those ridiculously high notes? I want to play professionally someday. Any suggestions would really help. Thanks guys! Oh yeah, TUBA POWER!
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

CC or Eflat Tuba?

I personally chose an EEb tuba, but that's because I wanted a better solo/chamber horn. If I were doing more band or orchestra work I might have decided differently.

There is no real difference in range, just clarity and accuracy. If you just can't hit a high Q# on a BBb, then you probably won't be able to hit it on an EEb either. But if you have trouble centering your high Q# or if you often miss it (hit the next note higher or lower) an EEb might help you.

The EEb will give you a lighter sound, all other things being equal. It will sound clearer on solos and may fit better in a brass quintet. But if you want a large, deep sound there is no substitute for a BBb or CC.

The great tubist John Fletcher used both an EEb tuba and a large CC. When he played with Philip Jones' brass ensemble he used the EEb, and also used it for smaller orchestral works. But when playing Mahler he found that the big CC did the job much better.

Back to high range for a minute. A piccolo trumpet is one octave higher that a standard B-flat trumpet. But trumpet players don't usually increase their ultimate top note when they use the picc. They choose it for the sound and the increased accuracy. BTW, but a large margin the highest notes I ever heard on trumpet were played on B-flat trumpets, not piccolo trumpets.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• bearphonium
      • Jan 2007

CC or Eflat Tuba?

***DISCLAIMER***
      Not a pro tuba player, nor do I play one on TV

Before you decide which (BBb, CC, Eb F) to buy, figure out what your needs are/will be, and find a good instructor that can help you with your range. I think Mr. Werden nailed it when he basically said its the player, not the horn. Choose your horn by what sound you want to get, not what you think will make your range better. Then, buy the best horn you can afford!

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X