Thread: fixing euphonion tuning issues

1. fixing euphonion tuning issues

As a first time poster, I best introduce myself before I ask question.

I am a long time trombone player (approx 20 years). I have been doubling on euph now for about 5 years. The euph I play is a Boosey and Hawkes Soveriegn (so compensating).

I seem to have an unsolvable problem that is common to everyone. I have a very limited number of notes that are dead on in-tune without some kind of lip adjustment. This is expected. Getting back to basics, the question I have is where do I tune each slide so that the lip adjustments I have to make are minimised throughout the range of the instrument?

My initial instinct is to tune the main slide on a mid-range Bb. Then after that, tune the other slides to the notes in that harmonic. So, 1st valve to Ab, 2nd to A, 2nd + 3rd to Gb. What about on the compensating side and its tuning slides? Mid range F for the main slide?

I'd like to get to the point where I don't wince at the tuning when I hear a recording of myself.

Tim

fixing euphonion tuning issues

When I played a similar horn I tuned the B-flat as you described. Then I would have the first valve slide out about 1/4 - 3/8 inch. It meant I had to lip up a little on 3rd-space E-flat, but it helped other notes. To get F# in tune it helps to pull the 3rd-valve slide a bit. However, another option is to use 3 alone to play the G's, so you may want to balance the pulling if that fingering works better overall. Tune the 4th valve to your low C probably.

The Sovereign is sharp on the 6th partial so I used these alternates most of the time:

E-flat - 1&3
    E - 2&4
    F - 4

Some like to use 1&4 for the E-flat, but that adds more tubing so I avoided it.

For tuning to middle A when necessary, I found that it helped to use 1&3 for the A. I rarely used that while playing, though.

For the upper A, which is usually flat, you might find 1&2 a good choice in some contexts.

The high C is usually played open.

High B natural... probably 2nd valve, but the response may stink no matter what you do.

That's my list of favorites for the Sovereign. The worse problem is the 6th partial, but with only a little work you will get used to the fingerings I suggested.

If you feel like moving up sometime, try the Sterling Virtuoso, which is what I now use. It is much better in tune to start with and you can get it with a tuning slide trigger (right up your alley, I think, since you came from trombone). Not cheap, though. Another less expensive option is to have a good shop install a tuning slide trigger on your Sovereign.

Here's how I found the tuning on a few horns, including the Sovereign:

Euphonium Intonation Charts

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. fixing euphonion tuning issues

Wow, that was a quick answer!

I do use those alternate fingerings on the 6th partial, but only if I need to sustain the notes, otherwise it's just not worth the effort. The trombone is also quite sharp on the 6th partial.

The upper partials I don't have a huge issue with as there are lots of alternate fingerings. I just wish that on some of those notes with 3 or 4 possible fingers at least one of them was in tune!

The lower partials are more of a problem. I find the 3rd partial E and Eb particularly difficult. Even after I push the valve slide all the way in I still have to lip up the notes. The compensating system I have troubles with as well. If I tune to Bb on the main slide and then play a C in 1+3 it comes out just slightly sharp. If I use the 4th valve with the compensating slide pushed all the way in, the C is too flat and I'm liping up again. It's frustrating...and part of the impetus behind asking what note the slides should be tuned to.

I tried the euph intonation chart link. I didn't get very far. I clicked on the Sovereign check box hit "submit" and ended up with no chart.

Tim

4. fixing euphonion tuning issues

yeah the flash version doesnt work for me either, press the "view non-Flash version" button on the bottom, and you should see the chart