X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTJ
    • Nov 2005

A Custom Mouthpiece Adventure

I have a Lehman D made by Dave Houser. It's a interesting mouthpiece, almost a perfect V, big bore, thin rim, producing a very dark sound. The exterior is an old fashioned design.

That got me thinking about a hybrid...

A couple of years ago I asked Dave Houser to laser scan a Wick SM3 and create a mouthpiece in stainless steel which combines the Lehman D exterior and rim with the SM3 cup and backbore. As he made it, he noted that the curves line up pretty well between the Lehman and the SM3.

I've had it about two years. It is a lovely mouthpiece visually. It's alittle longer than a Wick, so you have to push the main tuning slide in about 1/2 inch.

Because of the design, it is a lightweight mouthpiece, less massive that the Wick or the Lehman in brass. I played it some at home, but never did much with it -- it seemed a little bright and edgy.

On impulse, I took it to my recital rehearsal on Friday, to see what it sounded like in a big space. My pianist immediately liked it, and as we practiced, she commented on it several times, noting how "pretty" it sounds. Finally, she said, "I think you have found the mouthpiece" for the recital.

Because of a lot of reasons, a mouthpiece can sound much different to the player than to the listener. But to me, playing this Wick/Lehman hybrid in church, I hear a cleaned up Wick sound -- no grain in the sound -- with a vey clear focus and center, and a good distribution of fundamental and overtones producing a strong, robust sound, without being too dark or too bright.

Well, we'll see. Mouthpieces can fool you, but I am hopeful.

• mbrooke
    • Jan 2006

Hi John,

Mike Finn has a new mouthpiece that is similar in size to the SM3 called the PS Solo. Compared to an SM3M that I have, the PS Solo has a better core to the sound and seems easier to play, although its not quite as open sounding - which I think is a good thing. Mike Finn also has one called the 55P6, which is a 51 D depth cup. It's a little tighter than the PS Solo, but has a very centered, singing tone. One thing to note about the Houser Lehmans is that they seem to have a bigger throat than the originals. I have both am original Lehman and a Lehman S by Houser and the Lehman S has a noticeably larger throat.

Mike

Comment

• GregEuphonium
      • Jun 2007

Just so everyone knows, the "PS" model Mike Finn mouthpiece that he is referring to stands for Pat Stuckmeyer.
      Gregory E. Lopes
      Euphonium player
      US Navy Band Great Lakes
      US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• JTJ
        • Nov 2005

Mike, thanks for the info. I may well try the PS solo, because there are not enough good designs around for euphonium, and I would want to see what Pat Stuckmeyer has come up with.

To change the subject slightly, I do have a hunch that stainless designs should be lightweight. The LOUD designs are heavyweight, and the G&W E-2 I have is more or less standard weight. I think a lightweight, stainless steel design, well tweaked by a top player could produce a great euphonium sound.

John

Comment

• JTJ
          • Nov 2005

Mike -- how close to the SM3 is the rim size of the PS solo? I can't seem to find specs for it.

Thanks,

John

Comment

• mbrooke
            • Jan 2006

According to Mike Finn, the rim and cup are the same size as the SM3. The cup and throat have been tweaked to make it easier to play. It does provide a bit more resistance than SM3.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X