Thread: My Euph Collection

1. My Euph Collection

Thought you might be interested....(Left to Right and bottom)

1941 Holton Double Bell
    1968 Conn Connstellation 24I
    1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    1932 Pan American 56I
    2004 Holton TR395 Superbone

Dougie's Friends

I play all of these regularly Plus I have a spare Pan American (1934) that is either a parts horn or about to become the depository for my morning Boston Globe on my mail box! Now you know why my wife has me selling my 1922 Buescher Grande trombone, 1942 Selmer Cornet, 1972 Couesnon Fluegelhorn and 1974 Bach Trumpet!

Doug Ruby

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

My Euph Collection

Originally posted by: daruby
    ...Plus I have a spare Pan American (1934) that is either a parts horn or about to become the depository for my morning Boston Globe on my mail box!
    Doug Ruby
    I think we would all LOVE to see a photo of that paper-box implementation when it's complete!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. My Euph Collection

Dave,

Quick question...Is your Holton double bell similar to mine?

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. My Euph Collection

Beautiful collection... I don't think that I've ever seen a finer looking group of instruments..... Oh, and I've gotta ask... how did you acquire the superbone?
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

5. My Euph Collection

Greg,

I bought the Superbone new sight unseen from www.wwbw.com in January of 2004. I love the horn 'cause it allows me to play trombone at very high level and still learn slide technique slowly.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

My Euph Collection

Originally posted by: daruby
    Dave,
    Quick question...Is your Holton double bell similar to mine?
    Doug
    Here is a photo of my Holton Double-Bell Euphonium, ca. 1935. It is "original" condition - no work has been done on it that I know of. It's a 5-valve model. The first 4 valves work like any non-compensating 4-valve euphonium, and the 5th valve is used just to switch the sound between the small bell and the large bell ("up" on the valve sends it to the large bell).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. My Euph Collection

sorry for getting off topic, but i started looking around that link that mr. ruby gave on his horns, and see that he teaches highschool math. do you know why it is alvanced algebra/trig? does it really take care of trig or do you have to take it as a single course?.. can i skip pre-cal. and you went to UC berkeley? niice

8. My Euph Collection

Dave,

Your horn and mine are the same. I even have the gold Wick 4AY these days to play it with. Both are unrestored. The only difference is that yours is lacquered brass and mine is satin silver. What a coincidence! Mine was a US Government issue (has the US engraved on it) with a 1941 serial number. It wasn't assigned to a specific service as it just says US (I have heard of USN, USMC, USA, USCG, and USQC engravings on other horns of the era). As far as I can tell, Holton didn't make that horn post-WWII.

On mine I have to pull the small bell tuning slide almost all the way out and push the large bell tuning slide almost all the way in in order to get the two sides of the horn to play in tune with each other. Also, the small side actually plays more in tune with itself than the large side. From prior discussions, I believe that the low Bb on the large bell horn is flat in a manner similar to yours.

Cool!

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

9. My Euph Collection

Euphist,

I am not sure I understand your questions. Since you found my web site, why don't your email me at my school email address. I can answer you there after I get back from vacation. I am signing off for a couple of weeks.

Mr. Ruby (my teacher persona)
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band