Thread: Third generation Marine Band member

Third generation Marine Band member

Don't know how many of you get the Bi-monthly "Notes" from the Marine Band, but there is an interesting article about one of their newest members.

Staff Sergeant Christopher Franke is the third-generation member of "The President's Own". Both of his parents and his grandfather made the Marine Band their carrier. Chris (violin) recently joined the Marine Chamber Orchestra. His mother is MSgt Susan Franke (USMC retired) was violinist with the chamber orchestra. Chris' father is MGySgt Philip Franke and principal euphonium with the USMC Band. Chris' grandfather, MGySgt David Johnson (USMC retired - Susan's father), joined the band as trumpeter / cornetist in 1956.

Congratulations to SSgt Chris Franke!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Third generation Marine Band member

Rick, I read in the Washington Post that David Johnson passed away a few days ago, bladder cancer age 72. I had just gotten the NOTES myself,

Thanks Keith. So sorry to read that.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Third generation Marine Band member

I met Phil in 2004 at the old Marine band hall. Is a nice fellow. I tried to "hear" the euphoniums in the rehearsal, but you know -- that band is so cool!! You won't hear any of the instruments sticking out of place.

It was an interesting Notes issue. I'm waiting for Arthur's take on it and the passing of David Johnson. Arthur must have known him, of course.
    So neat that Chris and mother and father AND grandfather had all been in the Marine Band? I wish Chris the best and hope he carries the banner for at least another 20 years.

MGySgt Philip Franke is an awesome player. I met him this past year after their concert here in West Palm Beach, FL. Carlyle Weber -- who was principal euphonium with the USArmy Field Band for ~24 years (now retired) -- introduced us. I shook Phil's hand and said I was just an amateur player. His response was, "Ah, we're all amateurs really". Yeah right! He's a great player. I understand that Phil led the trombone section some years ago when the director wasn't real happy with that section.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Third generation Marine Band member

My understanding and I could be incorrect about this, is that Phil was a trombone player first and then went to the euphonium. They needed a good one and he filled the bill. And also, I believe he is the only one to play a Besson - which I understand he got from Arthur Lehman - and the rest of the guys play Willson horns.

I met Phil in July of 2004 when I was at the Marine Band hall at 8th and "eye" with Arthur and his wife, Frieda. I think it was the first time Arthur had been there in a while. Like maybe several years. During rehearsal, Frieda got to acting up -- she's a character anyway -- and got a little loud. Arthur didn't say anything, just sat there listening to the band. Frieda got up and started talking to Arthur with her back to the band. Colonel Foley was still the director and turned around and gave her "the look", and she sat down and was quiet. Of course Foley knew who she was,,, with Arthur. That was in the first half of the rehearsal.. At the break Phil came over to say hello to Arthur and that's when I met him. Just a quick hello. Seems to be a real nice guy. Sure hate to hear about the loss of his father-in-law.

I think I first heard Phil in 1978 for a T.U.B.A. competition in Los Angeles, where I was adjudicating for the euphonium solo competition. I got to hear Phil and Roger Oyster during the same competition - pretty impressive stuff! Then I think it was not long after that when the University of Illinois produced a record that featured Phil playing the premier recording of Curnow's Symphonic Varients. He played the heck out of it.

Phil is also a very nice guy. We've had a bit of time to "hang" over the years and I've always enjoyed chatting with him.

I assume the readers of this forum have noticed the recording of Phil in the Downloads for Members Only section (you have to be logged in to see the menu item). Great playing, brought to you free courtesy of The U.S. Marine Band!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

There's a nice article about this here:

Phil Franke, Marine Band, etc.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Phil is a fantastic player - premiered the Curnow as a college kid, fer cryin' out loud!
    On top of this, he's just a great guy!

Dave Johnson was a great player and a fine sailing buddy.

Glenn Call