Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water leaking out valve bottoms

1. Water leaking out valve bottoms

How about these? Make a perforation in the side, seal the end with silicone cement and slip 'em over the valves. It would be sort of like playing a cow.

http://www.babyant.com/bh131003.html

Steve

2. Water leaking out valve bottoms

One of the horns I used to play on had the same problem. Since then some horns now make those little gutter things attach to the bottom of the valves.

But before I had one that did this, I managed to intertwine a piece of cloth so it was a couple of inches under the valves. It didn't look pretty but it kept the water from splashing onto the horn (and my lap)
    and it didn't hurt the sound at all.

3. Water leaking out valve bottoms

I ordered some of these soft vinyl caps in 1.062" ID and 1" height to fit over my 1.125" valve bottoms. I'll report how they work. It does look more promising than that udder solution I was going to try. The minimum order was 240 caps, making them 19.4 cents per cap including shipping - a lifetime supply for the entire forum membership if they work. My instructor showed me her Wilson with the clip-on grime gutter - neat solution. Unfortunately my valve caps don't have that little nib that it clips onto, plus there's the mentioned offset 4th valve problem. Her valve caps would screw right onto my Weril but for incompatable threads.

http://www.stockcap.com/prod_d...sp?id=99&cat=12

Steve

4. Water leaking out valve bottoms

I am happy to report that the fit is just right - snug enough to stay put but easy enough to slip over the valve. The caps leave about a 1/2 inch reservoir to catch water. They do need a hole to let air escape. I figure I'll put one high in the reservoir with a small paper punch.

As I mentioned, I still have 236 caps, which I'd be happy to share - lets say a buck per horn plus envelope and postage. I'll follow up about that.

Steve

5. Water leaking out valve bottoms

Price per 5 caps will be $3.00, mailed anywhere in the continental USA.

I think I can be contacted via this board, but you can also Email me here:

w e b m a s t e r @ s t e v e s i t e . u s

Steve

6. Water leaking out valve bottoms

as long as they still allow the cap to vent, or your valve action will suffer because you'll be compressing air downward whchi will exit throught the vent holes in the piston and upbut then it will cause a suction as the piston rises again.

7. Water leaking out valve bottoms

That does happen. I punched a hole in the side of each cap leaving about 3/8" of reservoir below that. They catch all the water that comes out the valve bottoms in a long session with room to spare.

Steve

8. Water leaking out valve bottoms

You might want something a bit absorbant, like a piece of felt.

The Bach Grime Gutters and the tubes sually have these fitted. That way you're not dealing with water when you take the caps off or worry about them leaking through the new hole.

BTW, if we get some more of these in, I might have to order some caps off of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12