Thread: First Tests: Besson BE-2051 Prestige

1. First Tests: Besson BE-2051 Prestige

Most of my recent playing time (past 4 years) has been on a Yamaha 642S and then brief periods of testing in music stores. I tested a Besson Soverign at a music store down the street from the New England Conversatory of Music. It was OK, but didn't leave me speechless.

Later I tested a Willson 2905, I believe it was (larger bell) at an education conference. Again, nice, but not over the top incredible in the short time I was able to play it.

My Yamaha 642S was a great horn. Good intonation throughout the range; LOUD. And I was sorry to part with it.

But all of that now pales in comparison to the Besson Prestige 2051. I believe it was among the March crop of horns manufactured in Germany and came in a Buffet Crampon box. I don't know if it was manufactured from parts inherited as a result of the buy-out or if these parts were manufactured from scratch, but this is one beauty of a horn.

Now that I've had a few hours of playing on the Prestige, I'm totally impressed by every aspect of the instrument. Sound, feel, fit and finish--the works.

I've always had a pretty solid "singing" sound on euphonium, even from early high school days, but this horn is letting me sing like I've never sung before.

I'd love to hear from other euphoniumists who have purchased the new French/German Bessons. Unfortunately, I don't have tons of "Besson" experience on the latest British editions to do a decent comparo, but I'm one very happy owner of one of this first batch of expatriot horns.

First Tests: Besson BE-2051 Prestige

Arnie,
    I think these horns must be pretty consistant. I went to NABBA this weekend and at the exhibits I was able to play a Besson 2051, a Yamaha 842S and a Miraphone (I don't remember the model). The Besson far exceeded the other two horns. The Besson won my comparison hands down. The valves were perfect. Almost hydraulic in motion - smooth and very quick response. They moved as fast as I could go with very little effort.

The intonation was noticably better than the Yamaha 842S and the tone was much easier to center and control. Intervals were in tune. The Yamaha was a freer blowing horn, but the slight resistance on the Besson helped with the stability of control in the upper register. The highest notes in the upper register could be produced at pp with ease.

It only came with an SM4, but I was told that it now comes with an extra set of teflon valve guides and bottom caps. (I think that's right). I tried it with the SM4 and it felt a little stuffy. I then played it (and all the other horns) with my SM3 and that opened up the horn at least for me.

I was tempted to try to purchase it instead of waiting for the 2052, which I currently have on order, but I think the 2052 might have a more open feel, so I am going to wait. The rep seemed to think it might only be a few more weeks until more horns arrived from overseas. I've waited all these months, so what's a few more weeks? Although I sure hated to go home and play my old horn.

Enjoy your new horn. I'm envious!!

Terry