Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

1. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

I have an old recording of "From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific" that I recently got transcribed to MP3. In case any of you have high schopol students who may want to hear it, feel free to use the attached. This recording was made in 1968 when I was a high school junior playing with the Thomas Downey High School Band of Modesto, one of the finest in the state of California at the time. The soloist (me) is playing a 4 valve Conn Connstellation with a Bach 12 mouthpiece.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

I have enabled MP3 attachments for this topic. Click the "Attach File" button at the bottom of the Edit screen (Doug, you should be able to edit your post), click the Browse button to find the file, then click the Upload File button. After it finishes, click the Attach File link at the bottom of that screen.

If you have trouble, email me the file at the address you used earlier.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

I heard this MP3 yesterday or the day before. I was mightily impressed.

Also inspired!

"From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific" is a nice piece. I don't remember ever hearing it played on euphonium however. Looking forward to listening to your mp3 file Doug.

Two years ago we had a guest artist by the name of Brian Neal from the Dallas Brass play this piece on trumpet in front of our band. He did a wonderful job. For an encore, he played "Gabriel's Oboe" (arr. Neal)... but on a piccollo trumpet. Brian Neal has the richest tone I've ever heard on a picc. He said his piccollo trumpet is in the key of 'G'.

--- edit ---
    Just found a link to Brian Neal playing Gabriel's Oboe with the Dallas Brass...
    Gabriel's Oboe - Brian Neal with the Dallas Brass
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Not sure why, but it was tough to get this uploaded. It fits the size constraints, but maybe the server's connection is slow today.

Anyway, here is it:

From the Shores of the Might Pacific
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

David,

Many thanks....!

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

You were in HS and playing that well?! Wow!! That's great... and on a 12C mpc too.

Good tone, articulation, fingering, everything sounded great!! Thanks for sharing.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

8. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

Very nice, Doug, thanks for sharing that!

9. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

Good Stuff, Doug!!! Nice sounding band, too. Nice vibrato. I'm still studying Clarke's music. Art Lehman tells me there is a certain way to play it. You sound pretty spiffy playing this piece.

10. From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific

Keith,

The style and the cadenzas for this particular rendition of "From the Shores..." can be entirely credited to Leonard Falcone. He had a rendition on one of his Golden Crest recordings that I listened to at least one hundred times! I transcribed his cadenza at the end verbatim. I still have my handwritten transcription that I had to include for the judges when I played this at the state solo festival.

I also was fortunate to have Bob Gottschalk as a teacher (he studied at Michigan State under Falcone). My father studied at Univ. of Michigan under Revelli as did Ken Farrell, the director at my high school. While I did not study under him, the original bandmaster in Modesto, Frank Mancini, was hired directly out of the Sousa band in the late 20's to establish the instrumental music program in town. They just recently put one of the Modesto High School recordings in the Library of Congress. I guess this is all a way of saying that the strains of Sousa, Clarke, etc ran deep in my musical heritage...

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast