Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facial hair and low brass

1. Facial hair and low brass

I'm wondering about the effects of facial hair on the playing abilities of a low brass player, specifically euphonium. Generally speaking, would it hurt to have a goatee that extends around the mouth? Am I correct in thinking that it may weaken the seal created between the lips and mouthpiece?

Facial hair and low brass

Don't know about goatees, but I've had a mustache myself for many years. Doesn't bother me -- but I do keep my mustache trimmed from hanging over my upper lip too much. Some purists say it interferes with your seal with the mpc and not to have any facial hair. One of my favorite euphers is Riki McDonnell. He has a pretty bushy mustache and a great tone.

FWIW, I've seen some tuba players with that 'sole patch' thingy on their chin. Doesn't seem to bother them. Kenyon Wilson (professor @ UT) sports one of those.

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

In all brass instruments one can find excellent players with and without much hair in contact with the mouthpiece. I heard many years ago that a crop of hair on the bottom lip could help with endurance so I let mine grow. It took a while to get used to it, and it didn't seem to help anything that I could detect. However, I didn't notice any leakage because of it either.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Facial hair and low brass

I have a goatee that extends around my mouth. I don't find that any of the hair on the upper lip gets in the way, however, I shave off the hair where my mouthpiece touches just below the bottom lip. I find that this section of hair can get in the way, and I can actually feel the hair vibrating on the edge of the mouthpiece when I play.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

5. Facial hair and low brass

Full beard for over two years now. The only difference I may notice is that I can play WAAAY longer than any of my other brass friends. But I don't know that it's a product of the beard.

Euphonium Moustache

Don't forget about Derick Kane, S.A. ISB!!!!!!!

Heard him solo in Sacramento last year and he was great, always wears a moustache!

Lee

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derick Kane.jpg  

Originally posted by: RickF

Don't know about goatees, but I've had a mustache myself for many years. Doesn't bother me -- but I do keep my mustache trimmed from hanging over my upper lip too much.
    Same here. When I restarted on euphonium a few years ago I had a full beard. The lower lip didn't seem to be a problem, but I had to keep the mustache trimmed above my upper lip. It wasn't anything as technical as a bad seal, just a bad "feel". Now I'm playing more tuba, and I've shaved the mustache off due to bad feel again (with the bigger mouthpiece). This might be one of those "whatever works for you" issues. In my case, it just didn't feel right with the mustache (if I was going to continue to play tuba) and I didn't love the mustache enough to fight with it.

--Frank

Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

Originally posted by: GregEuphonium I have a goatee that extends around my mouth. I don't find that any of the hair on the upper lip gets in the way, however, I shave off the hair where my mouthpiece touches just below the bottom lip. I find that this section of hair can get in the way, and I can actually feel the hair vibrating on the edge of the mouthpiece when I play.
    Aren't goatees against military dress and appearance regs?

Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

9. Facial hair and low brass

I've played with a goatee... I found it was more reliable and comfortable than acne and razor stubble when i was younger. Now I'll never let it go.

10. Facial hair and low brass

Originally posted by: iMav

Originally posted by: GregEuphonium I have a goatee that extends around my mouth. I don't find that any of the hair on the upper lip gets in the way, however, I shave off the hair where my mouthpiece touches just below the bottom lip. I find that this section of hair can get in the way, and I can actually feel the hair vibrating on the edge of the mouthpiece when I play.

Aren't goatees against military dress and appearance regs?
    I suspect so, however, Greg wasn't in the Navy at the time of that post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast