Thread: Besson noncompensating euph

Besson noncompensating euph

There is currently a Besson 4-valve noncompensating euph for sale on eBay at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...30093154601&rd=1&rd=1

Can anyone identify the model?
    How does it compare to the King 2280?
    Is $1250 a good price?

Thanks.

I played a non-comp Besson several years ago. If this one is the same, here is how I think it lines up:

- Tone would be very nice, nearly like the more expensive Bessons of the same vintage. The King is nice and has a more consistent sound, but it doesn't have quite the "ring" of the Besson

- Intonation would be as problematic as traditional Bessons, mostly quite sharp on the 6th partial (treble clef F, F#, and G on the top of the staff, bass clef E-flat, E, and F above the staff). The King would probably be better.

- Build quality was usually very good, as it usually is on the King. No preference here.

It sounds like a pretty good buy from what I know. Any other opinions out there? My info is a little sketchy.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Besson noncompensating euph

from what i noticed about intonation from 2 years on my 2280, it seems notes tend to be flat, and not sharp like other brass instruments. the good thing is, its easier to hear notice that you're flat.

that besson is being sold at a good price and they're really good horns

Thanks for the great info. Someone bought it at the buy it now price. It didn't last long!

5. Besson noncompensating euph

Best bit of advice I can give you with the Besson 3+1 non comp... if it comes with a Besson 5 mouthpiece... throw out the mouthpiece and get a different one.