Thread: Custom Mods to a Besson Euph

Custom Mods to a Besson Euph

I posted a similar message in misc., but got no replies, so I'm posting it here, since it's about a specific brand. I have a 1975 large shank 3+1 Besson Euph. This instrument has no model designation, but is probably an unmarked Besson Imperial, some of the USA imports evidently were not marked with a model name.

I'm enjoying the horn, which is new to me as of last month. The lower register is flat and the top notes I can reach, three ocatves above, are sharp. I hope that will improve when I change out my Kanstul 6 1/2 AL-L mpc for a 51D, which has a larger throat and backbore.

The horn plays well, but I might prefer a somewhat brighter tone. For this and just to improve the overall response of the horn, I was considering some custom tweaking, such as:

Moving mouthpipe off the Bell
    Changing mouthpipe to European shank & smaller bore
    Mvoing Bell brace downwards

Does anyone have any comments on the advisability of such? Has anyone done some mods to their Besson?

Thanks,
    royjohn

IF IT WERE ME (and it's not), I might consider moving the leadpipe off the bell. That should give you a little more responsive sound. I probably would not mess with the shank.

I would certainly add nylon valve guides if you don't already have them.

If you have really good repairman around, someone who overhauls instruments with great success, you might have him (or her) go through the horn and check for proper alignment of all the joints. A good craftsman can make these fit better, which might help the response and intonation.

Many have had these fitted with tuning slide triggers.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, which makes a lot of sense. I have a couple of follow-up questions . . . can you explain what exactly "alignment of joints" is? Does this mean making sure the slides fit properly without tension or that the braces are without strain or somehow in line or that tubing fits properly at joints or ??

As far as a trigger is concerned, would this go on the main tuning slide? And would it be the Steve Mead type that goes in or out from a central position? Do you know where I'd get something like this to fit the Besson?

Thanks for any further help you can give. Rich Ita has handled most of my repairs, so I guess I'll send him a note, too.

Best Regards,
    royjohn

Check with Custom Music about the trigger. I believe they do custom work to fit one to your horn. They can tell about the one they use. You can also go to my links page and click the search link. Do a search for trigger:

DWerden.com Links Page

The alignment I mentioned is so that two mated tubes appear to be perfectly in line with each other, as opposed to one piece pointing is a slightly different direction. This can be very difficult to manage in a horn with so many parts and no horn is perfect. But sometimes some after-the-fact adjustment can help. Also, sometimes the two ends are not fitted tightly against each other, leaving a small gap.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks Dave,

I think I wil take these things one at a time, the mouthpiece first, then maybe a trip to see Rich about possible change in mouthpipe and new valve guildes (currently one valve is noisy, but I think that might be related to felts), possibly religning tubing as needed.

I checked the link as you suggested and Ekle in Germany does sell a trigger that fits "Besson" but the minimum price is $240 for nickle sliver, $320 for silver plate, so the entire job would probably be $400 to $600.

I hate to admit it, but my ear will probaby have to get better before it will be worth it!

I would be interested in hearing from Besson owners who've had their horns tweaked in any of the ways discussed.

6. Custom Mods to a Besson Euph

Finding a new euro shank leadpipe might be very hard if not impossible. Besson's parts are hard enough to get for semi current models... something from the 70's would probably mean scrap parts...

Royjohn,

Have you tried having someone else play your Besson to see if the same intonation issues are there? Just a thought.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

OH! Rick's post reminded me...

Have you tried a Wick 4AL just for fun? That mouthpiece is a good match for the horn and it would be interesting to see if it helps the intonation.

I haven't tried a Kanstul mouthpiece, but there are a lot of mp manufacturers who make them in such a way that the mp sticks out about 1/4 inch further than a Wick or Bach. This can affect intonation tendencies.

You could at least measure your current mp to see how far it "sticks out" from the leadpipe. Then pop in a Wick and see if the measurement is the same.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)