View Poll Results: Which euphonium brand is better?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Selman

5 62.50%
  • Schill

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the better euphonium brand?

Which is the better euphonium brand?

Which brand is better when looking to purchase a euphonium?

2. Which is the better euphonium brand?

Both are the same manufacturer, I believe. Both are worth staying away from. Get a used horn.

However, I just searched Selman and got some rotary euphs... Supposedly these are not that bad if you're looking for that distinctive rotary euph sound on a low budget. I searched Schill and didn't get any euphs.

Then again, this company has been improving so they might be up to standard now, but I'd say it's still a crapshoot.

What brands might you reccomend and would anyone have an idea (other then ebay) on where i could find a used 4 valve euphonium designed for intermediate players?

4. Which is the better euphonium brand?

Unless you really know a lot about euphoniums and tubas, I would be very careful buying from ebay. There's a heck of a lot of over-priced rubbish there, masquerading as musical instruments.
    Most of them are only fit to be plant holders.
    I would find a reputable music store in your area, and also maybe ask at the local schools or universities where they source their instruments.
    Perhaps even contact a local orchestra or band, and ask the principal tuba and principal trombone for a supplier of quality instruments.
    Even buying a quality instrument sight unseen is very risky, as the quality of individual instruments can vary within production runs.
    It's always a good idea to play, or get an experienced player to play for you, a horn before handing over money.
    Good luck
    Sue

5. Which is the better euphonium brand?

Originally posted by: Huami

What brands might you reccomend and would anyone have an idea (other then ebay) on where i could find a used 4 valve euphonium designed for intermediate players?
    Well, here's a list, you just have to pick Inline 4 or 3+1 (3 on top and one for the left hand on the side which is just like the compensating horns).

for 4 valve horns there are a few I'd suggest:
    King 2280/New Bach Strad euph/Conn 4 valve up bell
    King 4 valve bell front (so Conn as well)
    Yamaha 321/Old Bach B1110
    Weril (might not be too many used ones though)
    Holton
    VMI/Gerhard Baier/Allora (3+1 OR INLINE)
    Besson 4 valve (3+1)
    Pre-76 Olds
    Getzen

hit and miss so don't buy until you try and it's good:
    Jupiter
    Amati/Cerveny/new Olds
    Blessing
    Barrington (possibly)
    Chinese

If I missed anything I'll add it

Ok. I'm having lots of trouble trying to find a local store to purchase a horn. The ones I searched in were either incredibly overpriced for a dented, scratched up horn thats valves were barely working, or just new.

7. Which is the better euphonium brand?

If you are looking for an intermediate euphonium then I would just go with a Yamaha. They put out a pretty good intermediate horn. King, and all those other brands, aren't really worth the money and don't really put out a great sound. If you think you would like to get a professional horn, which I would just get since a compensating valve is much easier to work with since you use a strong finger to operate it, then I would go with either a Wilson, Besson, Yamaha, and Hirsbrunner(which I consider to be the best euphoniums out there). Thats if you want to get a Pro-Line euphonium. Again, if you are wanting a 4th-valve, then I would just get a Pro-Line horn. That is if you are willing to spend a little bit more money and make a good investment..

Originally posted by: BCbari
    If you are looking for an intermediate euphonium then I would just go with a Yamaha
    The Yamaha 321, unlike the King 2280, is a small shank horn. To me, that's a deal-breaker. YMMV.

King, and all those other brands, aren't really worth the money and don't really put out a great sound.
    I think you'll find that Dr. Werden expresses a VERY different opinion regarding the sound of the King, and whether or not it's worth the money here, here, here, , here,, and here,.

No disrespect intended, but to quote DocFox wrote over on brass-forum.co.uk,
    Dave Werden knows more about euphs than I do, or anyone I know. If he told me a Chinese $89 euph was the best, I would go buy it.

So if he says the King 2280 is his standby favorite among 4-banger non-comp euphs, it deserves SERIOUS consideration.

9. Which is the better euphonium brand?

I purchased a Barrington and it seems to work fine. It is Chinese and the name Barrington is apparently an inhouse name for Brass and Woodwind. When I read how bad Chinese products were, I was worried. But the acid test is how the instrument sounds.

I have a feeling that the Chinese are going to put a big corner on the market. You hear all the bad publicity but what do you expect from American manufacturers?

Of course I am a beginner (main instrument is trombone) and not seeking a professional model. I just want something to play in the Tuba Christmas, etc.

Originally posted by: hflynn3
    I purchased a Barrington and it seems to work fine. It is Chinese and the name Barrington is apparently an inhouse name for Brass and Woodwind. When I read how bad Chinese products were, I was worried. But the acid test is how the instrument sounds.
    These days some Chinese factories are ABLE to produce good horns, but that doesn't mean that they actually do so. To a certain extent it depends on what the buyer (meaning the company that has a contract for the horns being built) insists on. I suspect Brasswind insists on a certain standard that might make the Barrington better than many horns you see for sale on eBay.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast