Thread: The US Army Band (TUSAB)

The US Army Band (TUSAB)

I tried getting on this forum 2 days ago to post a link for folks to listen to the live web-cast of this year's Tuba/Euphonium Conference being hosted by the USArmy at Fort Myer, VA. Don't know if the server for this forum was down -- or I had a problem at my end. Anyway, I hope some of you were able to connect and listen to some of the programming. It was excellent!

I think my favorite part was the master class for euphoniumists paneled by the five current principal euphoniumists of the premier military bands.
    Roger Behrend - Navy Band (28 yrs)
    Phil Franke - Marine Band (26 yrs)
    James Jackson - USCG Band
    William Jones - USAF Band
    Don Palmire - USArmy BandThe panel talked about their daily duties and what to expect if one becomes a musician in the military. They gave a lot of good pointers on getting ready for auditions for a military gig. All of them said to be sure to dress appropriately (no shabby jeans & tee shirt). I think it was Roger who said if you show up shabbily dressed, it makes a bad first impression and you've already lost 30 points. So in effect you're starting out with a score of 70. (Yikes!) Don Palmire (Army) said the first 3 people that last auditioned all had trouble with a sticky valve. Be sure your equipment is in excellent working order. He couldn't believe that none of the three had valve oil in their pocket so they could fix their horns.

Then we all listened to 3 or 4 euphers play prepared pieces. Sorry, I don't remember the names of the pieces. The panel then made suggestions on what to work on and where they needed to improve. Ryan Black was one of the students who played. Ryan is a grad student at Alabama studying with Dumandrae Thurman. Another player was Jamie Lipton, who is a DMA candidate studying with Brian Bowman at North Texas. They did a good job. Of course the panel showed them some places they could improve on.

This afternoon Daniel Parantoni (affectionately known as Dr. P. at Indiana) held a master class for Tubists. It was also excellent. Some great players played.

I always learn something from listening to master classes. I think they will probably archive some of the program so you could listen to it at a later date. Here's the link I wanted to post earlier:

Tuba-Euphonium Conference 2007
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. The US Army Band (TUSAB)

Rick F said "I always learn something from listening to master classes."

Lots of us can't get to a school or university or conference to actually have a lesson from some of these people. You are right on, Rick, listening to them when you can. Much can be learned by using our ears and keeping our mouths closed. Listen to what these folks have to say and you can learn much that way, too. Thanks for the email about it, I forgot actually, you know the reason why. Got real preoccupied the last few days.

The US Army Band (TUSAB)

This is great! Lots of useful info and tips, even for us lower intermediate players.

Not sure whether this is posted elsewhere in the forum, but there's also a Brian Bowman recital from the 2004 conference in the archive, in which he pays tribute to Harold Brasch, and includes a recording of Harold Brasch playing an encore and a musical tribute to Brasch by the euphonium section of the US Navy Band.

Very much worth the listen.

The US Army Band (TUSAB)

This is great! Lots of useful info and tips, even for us lower intermediate players.

Not sure whether this is posted elsewhere in the forum, but there's also a Brian Bowman recital from the 2004 conference in the archive, in which he pays tribute to Harold Brasch, and includes a recording of Harold Brasch playing an encore and a musical tribute to Brasch by the euphonium section of the US Navy Band.

The US Army Band (TUSAB)