Thread: Old Hirsbrunner or Besson Imperial?

Old Hirsbrunner or Besson Imperial?

Today I tried three relatively old euphs that belong to my private teacher. The first was an old Hirsbrunner, maybe 20-30 years old ( not sure). Fairly good condition I suppose, all it needed was a good cleaning. Second was a newer Hirsbrunner, maybe 15-20 years old, yet hasn't been played hardly 20 hours ( don't ask me why), fantastic condition. Third was an old Besson Imperial, 30+ years old, also only needs a good polishing and cleaning. Overall, I think I like the old Hirsbrunner the best, but I couldn't say one way or the other, and honestly, anything is better than the Conn 19-I that I play now.

Would anyone be able to give a stab at how much these instruments would cost? Any suggestions? Thoughts or anything else would be appreciated.

Old Hirsbrunner or Besson Imperial?

Hmm.... let me take a small stab at this. Cleaning each euph. will give you a better idea of what each one will do for sound, intonation and all the musical things. For the most part, one can clean their own instrument and hope that the springs and felts are in decent shape or just enough to get a person by until they take it to the shop. Looks isn't everything except if its dinged up badly, then there may be an issue. If you're looking into buying any of the euphs. , I may be biased to say get the Besson if the intonation is decent. My bias is I own a Besson, 4 valve compensating euph. that was made in 1972. I got my Besson for $850US through a connection of a connection deal in Minot, ND where I went to university. Its possible that the Besson will be the cheapest of the 3 euphs you mentioned due its age.