X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

"The Golden Dragon" Overture

We just got "The Golden Dragon" overture (Karl King) added to our folders last week. It's a very nice piece with several solos for euphonium. Fred Dart introduced the piece to the band by saying that Karl King -- besides being a composer -- was also an accomplished euphonium player. So he often wrote solos for the euph. (who hasn't heard "The Melody Shop").

I site read it pretty well last week... except for the 12/8 section. I have a habit of not subdividing like I should the first time so I didn't play the 16th notes fast enough (triplet feel). In the first solo (Adagio section) I think our part is missing a 'tutti' marking. After 8 measures I think all of the euphs are supposed to play because 12 measures later, it's marked 'solo' again. Anyone know for sure?
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
  • uieuph
    • Dec 2005

"The Golden Dragon" Overture

I'm not certain if this is definitive, but I performed this in a band under a retired university professor who had us play it with a tutti there.

Comment

Working...
    X