Thread: Morceau Symphonique

1. Morceau Symphonique

Is there a version of this where it doesnt change cleffs in the beginning?

2. Morceau Symphonique

What exactly do you mean? I'm playing this for my college auditions and my part came with both treble and bass cleff parts. The beginning of the bass cleff part starts in treble, but only because those are the piano cues. You're probably not supposed to play them...

But I guess to answer your question: No, not that I know of.

Morceau Symphonique

My copy from Warner Bros. doesn't change clefs throughout.

Morceau Symphonique

There are a lot of ways to write a musical part, and the editor is usually trying to make the part as clear as possible. This means that different editions may change clefs or not depending on what the editor thought.

You may want to consider just buying a good edition and learning to read whatever clefs are in it. You really should learn bass and treble clef, and doing so within a piece you are practicing long-term is a great way. Musicians tend to "accidentally" memorize music whether they want to or not, just during the course of practicing. By the time we work up a piece to performance level we usually have it just about memorized, so when we get there we won't be bothered by clef changes. Just make sure you listen to a recording from time to time so you have the tunes locked in your head correctly; this will keep you from mis-reading the unfamiliar clefs without realizing it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Morceau Symphonique

The original poster of this message probably got the bass clef trombone arrangement of this solo, which starts out in tenor clef and switches to tenor clef again during the piece. It can be a bit unsettling for a bass clef player who has never encountered tenor clef. Coming from cello, I had to learn it and so now I don't get so rattled if I see in in trombone/euphonium music.

If you want to work it out for yourself (or notate it so that it's all in bass clef) just know that where the tenor clef middle symbol hits the line is the C above middle C (if I'm remembering correctly) and then just go from there.

6. Morceau Symphonique

Its Basically read like Bb Treble with Bass Clef Key Signature. Coming from a Salvation Army Brass Band thats how I know it.

7. Morceau Symphonique

If you're looking for a good source to learn how to read tenor clef, I recommend the clef studies by Blazevitch (i probably spelled his name wrong). Anyway, they are really beautifully written etudes and will give you a thorough understanding of tenor and/or alto clef.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052