Thread: 4AL vs SM4

1. 4AL vs SM4

So I have decided to purchase either the 4Al or the SM4, now the specs are practically the same. I don't have the chance to go somewhere to test out these two mouthpieces, so I was wondering what everyone thinks of the two. I currently have a SM3 but I am starting to think it is a bit too big for me. I have not had a chance to play any of the original wicks. Any kind of pros or cons or even details would be greatly appreciated.

4AL vs SM4

I own both an SM4 and a 4AL. I choose to play the 4AL all the time. It's more open-sounding.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. 4AL vs SM4

Thank you for the reply!
    Is it just the openess of the sound that differs between the two mouthpieces? Are there any distinct articulation, pitch, or register differences?

4AL vs SM4

It seems to me that the 4AL is much better for navigating the upper register.

5. 4AL vs SM4

Interesting you should say that - I use a 4AL and often struggle to reach the higher register!

4AL vs SM4

Originally posted by: AndyEuph

Interesting you should say that - I use a 4AL and often struggle to reach the higher register!
    Are you speaking comparatively? I find the 4AL is more open in the high register than the SM4, but I certainly had to struggle a bit when I first switched to the 4AL from the Bach 5G I had used previously.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. 4AL vs SM4

being primarily a tubist, the high register of the euphonium is a bit of challenge for me. I find the 4AL extremely supportive, but I do prefer it in the new chunkier shape; the extra weight in the bottom of the cup strengthens the lower number harmonics, giving a fatter sound.
    Sue

8. 4AL vs SM4

Seems like there is a lot of good things to like about the 4AL. I will probably be purchasing it and I will have all winter break to test it
    I want to say thanks to everyone who could pitch in info about the two mouthpieces! I really appreciate it, I do not yet have a job and obtaining mouthpieces usually takes some time from saving allowance!

9. 4AL vs SM4

Alright so I just got the 4AL, and I seem to have less endurance on it than the SM3...weird. I do hear the wick fuzz, but my upper register is more open. I have to work on the 4AL so i can get the best sound out of it, thank you all for the help

4AL vs SM4

Originally posted by: euphm

Alright so I just got the 4AL, and I seem to have less endurance on it than the SM3
    Not so strange. The 4AL has a different shaped rim, which can take some getting used to. Also, despite the wider cup of the SM3, I think the Wick has a wider throat or backbore, because something must account for its more open sound. Anyway, with practice you'll get used to it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)