View Poll Results: What Instrument (not including the Recorder) did you start your musical career with?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trumpet or a variation (Including Cornet)

78 32.23%
  • French Horn/ Mellophone

7 2.89%
  • Trombone (including Bass, and Tenor ones)

27 11.16%
  • Baritone/Euphonium

78 32.23%
  • Sousaphone/Tuba

7 2.89%
  • Anyother Brass instrument

2 0.83%
  • Flute or a variation (Including Piccolo)

7 2.89%
  • Oboe or a variation (including Bassoon)

0 0%
  • Clarinet or a variation (including basset horn)

12 4.96%
  • Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone (Bari) Saxophones

6 2.48%
  • Anyother Woodwind instruments

0 0%
  • Percussion instruments

4 1.65%
  • String Instruments (including guitar and the orchestral strings)

14 5.79%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What instrument did you start your musical career on?

1. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

I got a little curious recently, and was wondering what instrument you (fellow forum members) started on?

Also; What instrument(s) you have played and/or are currently playing?

I started on the trumpet. I am playing the baritone, trombone, and the tuba

2. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

I too started on the trumpet.
    I played it for about a year and when I entered junior high band, I found that my endurance was horrible
    Half way through the period, my chops would get tired and soon after I had none left.
    My director switched me over to euphonium starting that spring semester. I did not really learn how to play my euphonium until recently! Thanks to this forum, I have grown a lot as a player
    I would also like to say thank you to everyone here!

3. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

i started on clarinet....

4th grade i started clarinet
    5th grade i had to teach the fourth graders how to play because my teacher always squeaked (squawked?) when he played
    6th grade i started bass clarinet
    7th grade i started tenor sax
    9th grade i was joking with my band director about how i would rather play tuba then alto sax... so i ended up taking a tuba home and teaching myself to play

currently (11th grade) i am tuba section leader at school, but i also play tenor sax and bass clarinet with my church band

4. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

I started on the tenor trombone. Full arm extension was to a generous 4th position. Started the euphonium last month, 39 years later.

What instrument did you start your musical career on?

7th Grade: Trumpet
    9th Grade: Learned 'baritone' (didn't know the proper name of the instrument until grade 10)
    10th Grade: Gave up on the trumpet. Learned to read bass clef on my own, picked up valve trombone to play in the senior jazz band. At the time, it was very rare for somebody in Grade 10 to play in the senior jazz band.

University: Learned slide trombone and tuba. Also bought my euph. and trombone

For singing: I sing bass one service a month with the worship team at my church. Last December, I song bass for a Singing Christmas Tree production. I also play my euph. at my church one service a month

Currently, I play euphonium in the Brandon Community Band

Recently, I played euphonium (playing 2nd and 3rd cornet parts) for a German style band in a German Pavilion, part of a multicultural festival going on. I think I will pass on playing parallel 10ths with the trumpets in the future. The horn player was the only one I was able to blend my sound with when the horn part was the same as the trumpets.

6. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

Baritone/euphonium 7th grade Memphis City Schools, 1965. Little bell front, 3 valve job.
    Only instrument I have ever played.

an amendment: I started on the bell front horn. In HS. played a bell front and then a Conn 4 valve with the straight bell to the left and the valves on front of the horn. Later, picked up a Weril to get started with, then bought a 1946 B&H Imperial and now have another, Arthur's horn, which I play most of the time.

Started playing the "baritone" and have never wanted to play anything else.

7. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

Baritone...4th grade at Caswell Elementary School in Ceres, Ca. I don't recollect what the brands of the many derilict school horns I played were until I got to High School where I played Conn Connstellation 4 valve bell fronts with spring loaded tuning slide. Very nice traditional American horn. I studied under a fine Euphonium player, Robert Gottschalk of Modesto, Ca.

While I picked up trumpet in college and trombone (sorta) recently, I have been primarily a euphist for the last 45+ years.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I started on trumpet (cornet really) when I was 12 y.o. (7th grade). Three years later my parents moved so we changed school districts. I had to switch to baritone. I played a 3 valve Conn or King (bent-bell) baritone for the 3 yrs of HS. Then when I joined the Air Force and was at Keesler AFB for a year of electronics and RADAR training, I joined the drum & bugle corps on base as an extra-curricular activity. The corps had 2-valve 'G' bugles (soprano, baritone, bass). After my RADAR training was completed, I didn't play any horn for 33 years. After retiring from the FAA 6 years ago, I decided to get back into music. I'm currently playing a Yamaha 641S euphonium.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

9. What instrument did you start your musical career on?

I started on clarinet, and played that for a very painful 5 or 6 years (i wanted to be playing trombone or euphonium... certainly not clarinet)... Then i switched to Euphonium at the end of my sophomore year of high school... It's all been good since then.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Saxophone
    Bass Guitar
    Sousaphone
    Baritone

I played saxophone for a few months in 4th grade. It wasn't for me - bass guitar was what I really wanted to play. After a year of convincing my parents I started bass guitar in 6th grade and stayed with it through college. In high school my band director talked me into playing sousaphone during the marching season, which included my school's football games, the Columbus Day parade in San Francisco, and a competition in Santa Cruz. Lots of fun.

Last fall my daughters picked up guitar (4th grader) and trumpet (5th grader). So I bought an acoustic bass guitar to practice with them. It was tough for me to tranpose the trumpet music by sight so recently I found an inexpensive 1920s Cleveland baritone on ebay and have been playing it for about two weeks now.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast