Thread: The King is here

1. The King is here

I spotted a new King 2266 (lacquered brass finish) on ebay last week. Our winning bid including shipping came to about $790. The seller stuck a shipping label on the case and shipped via USPS.

The case incurred a few battle scars but no damage to the horn. We picked it up from the post office this afternoon just in time to make it to Rob's private lesson.

At the instructor's house we removed the mouthpiece from the factory sealed plastic wrap and noticed that it was a Benge 6 1/2 AL and not the Bach 6 1/2 AL that is supposed to accompany this horn. We tried to install the Benge mouthpiece and quickly learned that it has a large shank. The King 2266 has a small shank lead pipe.

The ebay seller has a low end Bach trombone for sale. They must have inadvertently switched mouthpieces. I've written to advise them of their error and am awaiting a reply.

On another ebay auction a month or so ago I purchased a selection of used small shank trombone/baritone/euphonium mouthpieces. I had taken these along as the music teacher wanted to go through Rob's baritone horn. He selected the Conn 12C as it's rim more closely resembles the narrow rim of his trumpet's mouthpiece.

He played Rob's Jean Baptiste 480 baritone. If there were any problems he didn't mention them. He moved the mouthpiece to the King 2266. With an accomplished musicain playing both horns the tonal quality between them is very apparent. The King is sweet. I've noticed a number of the professional musicians who are members of this forum hold the Kings in high regard as starter horns, now I understand why.

They did the music lesson with Rob playing the Jean Baptiste 480 and his instructor the King 2266. It was their best lesson ever. What a difference it made for Rob to hear an instrument that sounds similar to his own.

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have a fight on my hands to get the King back. I needn't have been concerned. Joey started asking Rob if it would be OK for him to accompany Rob using his trumpet in the future. Joey had gotten pretty light headed playing the King, I think he had had enough.

Rob started a new quarter at school this week and has band more frequently. I'm thinking about sending the Jean Baptiste 480 to school with him on Mondays and have him bring it home for me to clean on Fridays. He can practice with the King 2266 at home and use it for his private lessons on Wednesdays.

He has been playing the King some this evening and mentions it makes him pretty dizzy. So he may want to stay with the Jean Baptiste exclusively. We'll have to see how it goes.

His hands are too small to use the fourth valve on the King. That's something he'll have to grow into.

Best regards,

Bobby

2. The King is here

We received a Holton small shank 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece from the ebay seller today. Our son likes the rim and his horn sounds nice when he plays it with this mouthpiece. While it isn't the Bach small shank 6 1/2 AL in the items description we are happy with it.

Seller's ebay name is 1b2js1a. I would purchase from them again.

Best regards,

Bobby