X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbrown91
    • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

Hello, I have a 1969 Yamaha YEP-321 serial # 000003 4 valve euphonium. It has the gold tone plating, 1st slide spit valve, longer 3rd valve slide, and the origonal case. The horn is in excellent shape. I have been playing it for 3 years now and would like to move up to a compensating system. The horn has an excellent tone quality, it has a better sound and range then the new YEP-321. Also I'm looking at a YEP-842 or Besson Prestige 2052, which one is better in your opinion? Thanks in advance.
  • jbrown91
    • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

I didn't know if you could help me on this. I've been wanting to find out how much my instruments worth and no one really knows. Yamaha told me it was at leastworth list. So I don't know if that helps.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Value for 1969 yep-321

The one thing that is throwing me is the serial number. One might think that such a low number may be worth more because of it "historic" value.

However, ignoring that for the moment, most used horns that have a comparable model still in production follow a common "formula" (not that scientific, actually). If your horn is in great shape, a potential buyer will be choosing between your instrument, which is old but still looks really nice, and a brand-new horn with a new case, cool Yamaha polishing cloth, etc. Most times they will not pay more than about 75-80% of the new price for a used horn. If yours is looking more dented and worn, then the price goes down. Usually it drops to about 50% for a horn that plays well buy is obviously well-worn.

Your say your horn plays better than a new one. That could be because you are used to it or it could be because it is well broken in or it could be because they were made better back in 1969. In the first 2 cases, there is no increase in resale value. In the latter case there might be, but only if you find a buyer who is good enough to know the difference and who really likes that model.

Look at this post:

Walter Barrett's Christmas Arrangement

and find the post by WaltTrombone. He is a Yamaha clinician and a euphonium player. You might want to private message him and ask him for an opinion.

Hope that helps.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• carbogast
        • Mar 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

If it was a Yamaha dealer who said it was worth "list price", and you are serious about purchasing through them, then speak to them about a trade-up deal. This will give you an idea of what it is worth (to the dealer). The dealer cannot offer you the highest price of course - he has to keep it as inventory and mark it up to what he thinks the market value is. But you never know, they may put together a deal that is better than what you can do by selling yourself and buying the 2nd instrument separately.

Many 321s are sold on EBay. You can track the ones that go up for sale for the next few months to get a good idea of the market value. My gut feel is that a very nice one will fetch around $1000.

- Carroll
        Carroll Arbogast
        Piano Technician
        CMA Piano Care

Comment

• kevin67
          • Aug 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

I also have a YEP-321 with the old configuration. I would not sell it unless you realy need the money for the new horn. But, if you are going to trade it in, talk to a Yamaha rep directly and see if Yamaha is interested in a trade of some sort.

A compesating horn is not necessarily a better horn, just different.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Value for 1969 yep-321

Originally posted by: kevin67

A compesating horn is not necessarily a better horn, just different.
            That statement is true as far as it goes. I think it is possible to build a non-comp horn that is as good as a comp horn. Actually, response would probably be slightly better on the non-comp because the tubing is less convoluted.

However, in typical production, compensating horns are better because the manufacturers make their best model to be compensating. I can't think of a manufacturer that makes a compensating euphonium or tuba and also makes a comparable model as non-compensating. Can anyone else?
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• kevin67
              • Aug 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

That is true for current production lines. But the YEP-321 was Yamahas top line Euphonium until the 1990's. This horn was made in 1969, the only Comp. horns I can think of from that era were made by Besson and B&H.

Its light, has nice responce and has all 4 valve on top so you can play it one handed. Perfect for parades, pep rallys, and TUBA Christmas. Perfect to have for when your main axe is being worked on.

It is not a "professional" model now. But you will see professionals playing on them.

Comment

• Eupho9
                • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

it seems like in general, yamahas have the most stubborn valves. i don't know if you guys agree

Comment

• jbrown91
                  • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

I directly got the quote from Yamaha. They couldn't give me a true estimate but they said at the very least it is worth that. I like my model but would love to get a comp. They are just wonderful. The new Yep-321 I was talking about was a friends 03' model. It has a great tone but he even thinks mine has that, I'm not sure what you'd call it, but a different deep sound. This instrument would score a 98%-100% on condition. It is like brand new, has one maybe two invisable dents. But I am getting more serious about playing now and would like to step up to a better model. I know the history of the 321's but I still think the new comps are better. I thank you guys for your help. I know it's hard to evaluate a sight unseen instrument, you have to actually see it in person to give it a value. Thanks again

Comment

• JTJ
                    • Nov 2005

Value for 1969 yep-321

Dave -- re comp vs. non-comp of same quality, does the Willson 2704 compare to the 2900? Bore & bell are the same size as the 2900. And for the price, it should....

And isn't it ironic, as you noted elsewhere, that the the trombone doublers on euphs in the top symphony orchestras tend to use 321s. No expensive compensaing euphs for them.

Comment

• RickF
                      • Jan 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

Originally posted by: Eupho9

it seems like in general, yamahas have the most stubborn valves. i don't know if you guys agree
                      Actually no, I don't agree. At least not in regards to the compensator models. (not sure about the 321 model). I have a Yamaha 641 -- the predecessor to the 642 and it has excellent valves made of monel. I don't have any trouble with sticking valves and I've been using the same valve guides for over 2 years.

Rick Floyd
                      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Value for 1969 yep-321

Originally posted by: JTJ
                        Dave -- re comp vs. non-comp of same quality, does the Willson 2704 compare to the 2900? Bore & bell are the same size as the 2900. And for the price, it should....
                        John,

It's been so long since I have tried a non-comp Willson that I'm not sure if it was the same model number (2704). The one I tried played nicely, but did not play the same as the 2900.

Certainly there are many factors that don't show up in the specifications. For example, when I toured the old Besson factory in Edgeware I learned that the Imperial and Sovereign shared all parts except for the bell and leadpipe (and possibly some trim, such as the valve buttons). HOWEVER, the Sovereigns were then assembled on a different line by the more experienced builders they had. The sound can also be affected by the alloy and weight of the brass, bracing, fit/layout of the joints, etc.

Originally posted by: JTJ
                        And isn't it ironic, as you noted elsewhere, that the the trombone doublers on euphs in the top symphony orchestras tend to use 321s. No expensive compensaing euphs for them.
                        I noticed that some studio musicians who worked mostly on trombone also would choose the 321 as their euphonium. When I stood back and thought about this years ago it came as no surprise. First, price is a factor when you are buying a horn to use twice a year. But there is more to it, I think. The response and base intonation of the 321 are a better match to what a trombonist is used to.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• WaltTrombone
                          • Aug 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

A lot of tuba players like them, too, both for the price, and the 4 inline valves. For some reason that I can't fathom, tuba players feel this need to play all of their valves with their right hand. Guess they're too busy playing with their 1st valve slide...

I wouldn't think any 321 is worth $3200. (The list price.) Street price on a new one is around $2200. (Street price on your horn would have been maybe $600-800 back in around 1970) I'd offer my opinion (for what THAT's worth) that you could expect to get between $1000-1500. for yours. Ebay can give you a good idea of what the market will bear. Keep in mind that most of the horns there have been through school programs, and are beat all to heck and back. Even those beaters manage to sell for $1000-ish, so aim for $1500.

Comment

• jbrown91
                            • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

Thank you everyone that helped me on this subject.

Comment

• jbrown91
                              • Nov 2006

Value for 1969 yep-321

Here's a Yep-321 in about the same shape of mine. I expect mine to go higher for the fact it is #000003, it is 37 years old, is in great condition, has the better features, and better build quality. http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-YEP...13QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                              X