Thread: Euphonium to Tuba help

1. Euphonium to Tuba help

I can both Bass Clef and Treble Clef, but I keep getting stuck on wheather or not the fingerings for the tuba are the same as for the euphonium and it is just that the tuba sounds an octave lower than the euphonium.

Please help.

Euphonium to Tuba help

If you're playing a BBb tuba then the fingerings should be the same. The tuba will sound an octave lower than euphonium.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Euphonium to Tuba help

ok, I have no idea weather it is BBb or what it is so... yeah.

4. Euphonium to Tuba help

If you play the open harmonic series of the instrument, that will tell you what pitch of tuba you have.
    Sit near a piano, play the three 'basic' open notes ( second, third and fourth harmonics), and check them against the piano.
    If you have the right notes the bottom pair will be a fifth apart and the upper pair a fourth apart.
    If you have a Bb tuba, the notes will be Bb, F, Bb.
    If you have a C tuba, the notes will be C, G, C.
    If you have an Eb tuba, the notes will be Eb, Bb, Eb.
    If you have an F tuba (unlikely), the notes will be F, C, F.

Having established the pitch of your tuba, you will be able to hunt up the appropriate fingering chart!
    Sue

5. Euphonium to Tuba help

thanks for your help sue

6. Euphonium to Tuba help

Same topic, different question.

I am a euph player playing the tuba in a community band. I currently use a Bach 6.5 AL on the euph. What mouthpiece should I consider using on the tuba? Currently, I am bouncing back and forth (depending on which tuba is at the junior high where we practice) between a Bach and a Yamaha 201, both 3/4BBb. I am trying desparately to get a tuba that I can take home, but so far, no luck. I eventually want a 4/4 BBb, so that could enter in to the mouthpiece issue.

While everyone seems glad to have a tuba in the band, my personal assessment is that as a tuba player, I make a good euphonium player.

Euphonium to Tuba help

This is really aimed at the comments from Bearphonium
    If you are playing euph, a smaller mouthpiece may feel a little more comfortable
    Try the Bach 25, or 24aw
    The 25 is better for smaller people/smaller horns
    You could try a Conn Helleberg 7b also.
    You caould also try the smallest of the "Loud" mouthpieces.
    I play the Model 7 on a Mirafone 184, which is really a 3/4 instrument.

8. Euphonium to Tuba help

Thanks, Scott, and to Javiar for letting me hijack his thread! I am in the process of buying a 3/4 York BBb, and will look hard at replacing the mouthpiece, too. I don't have much of an upper lip, and this gives me something to look at!