Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

1. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

I actually do play with 1/3 top and 2/3 bottom, and my upper register is fine. To improve the upper register, one must use lots of air!
    Do lip slurs! Long tones! Scales! All of these will contribute towards the finished product, and don't expect it to happen over night

2. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

I play with about 7/12 of my mouthpiece on my bottom lip, and 5/12 of it on the top. And I can play higher than all but one of the trombonists at my school, and that kid has made it into the all northwest symphony, playing only first parts in it. And generally, trombones can play the upper register easier, and a little higher than Euphoniums can. So, you could say that it helps my upper register a lot.

3. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

Advice Arthur gave me: 1. don't force the high notes,, work on them gently, then do something else; 2. daily practice, practice, practice; 3. he looked at my slightly off center mouthpiece placement, heard me play, and said not to change anything.

4. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

The only thing I would add would be to get Arthur Lehman's second Book with record from Tuba Press. (Yes, its a 33 1/3 vinal)

This is a wonderful warm-up instructional and has some great insight in highnote production.

[[ NOTE:
    Here is the link to the Tuba-Euphonium Press' page for this great book/recording:
    TubaEuphonium Press - Texts for Euphonium

... Moderator ]]

My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

Adam Frey told me in a masterclass that when he wants to improve his high range, he plays in a high tessitura for 5 straight minutes.

My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

Dear Suiram,

Your problem is almost certainly related to air flow. I would bet that as you go into the high range, you start using too much tension in your lips and/or body. Eventually, you have so much tension that you cut off your air. Unfortunately, there is not an easy fix for this problem. I would recommend that you stay away from that high C for awhile and concentrate on trying to play with a full open sound. If you do range exercises, only play has high as you can with a good sound. Basically, you have to reteach yourself how to blow the horn. This may take awhile, but eventually you should get back to that high C and beyond. Only this time it will sound much better. Please understand, there are no tricks that will get you there. Some people have a very easy time with the high range (I'm not one). For the others, it may take years to get a good dependable high range. Remember, having a good high range doesn't mean that you can eek out a high E flat (or whatever). It means that you can use that note musically, with a good sound and control.

Try this experiment. Play a F on the staff with a good, full sound. Then pull the horn away from your face, while still blowing. There should be a slight popping sound do to the air flow. Now try it with your high C. I bet no won't hear that sound, because there's very little air.

Mike

7. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

This has been helpful. Math not being my best trick, I have been worried that I'm "off" with mouthpice placement. I am roughly 2/3 top to 1/3 bottom, but off of center just a little bit. So far, both upper range and lower register are challenging, but it is improving by the day!

8. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

My suggestion is listen to everything. Then, hug your horn and beg its fogivness. Lighten up, loosen up and have patence.

You do need to try all these "suggestions" and listen to everyone who can play realy high. But in the end, it comes down to what is best for your chops and your personal routine. Never end playing or practice with high notes.

For me, I practice some. I just switched Mouthpiece choice and lost my top fifth, so I am back down to the high C. It will take me a very long time (years) to regain what I had, but I dont need to play that high.

I'm serious about hugging you horn, a name wouldn't hurt either.

9. My upper register, or the lack of my upper register

I returned to playing the Euph after a 44 year absence. Some things (like fingering) I never forgot; but it takes work, and time, to regain the high range! Proper breathing too... and WIND is important! Read the advice of Pat Stuckemeyer (Google him) and then think "Wide"! Practice buzzing as part of your daily routine, together with all the other basics!! Focus- then use more air. However, don't overuse your Embouchure with too much practice time or intensity.
    I went through several mouthpieces and found that after about a month, or so, of diligently using the larger LOUD LM 20 mp I was able to revert to my Bach 5G and/or Yamaha 53 with renewed strength in the high range. I am truly amazed at my improvement, so it was a month well spent!
    I also try to practice half and half standing and sitting. Since my last birthday,which puts me into some sort of senior category, I've bought a comfortable stool to sit on: it works a treat and I find that I am more relaxed on my higher perch, particularly in my shoulders, which helps me to breathe and to focus. For some reason I'm now more psychologically prepared to make the higher sounds, and I can fool my brain, or at least take charge of it, to make the note.
    In my opinion, it is very important psychologically to be mentally and physically ready to make a sound. If necessary, you can start low and when the sound is good play up an octave and it will be much easier.

Cheers, Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12