Thread: Army of The Nile

Army of The Nile

One of the pieces which the Brandon Community Band is playing this year is the Freddick Fennel arrangement of Army of the Nile. The euph. part pretty much plays itself, simple yet effective use of the euph. throughout the whole piece. The flutes esp. don't like trio section for obvious reasons.

I played Army of The Nile a few different times, always a treat to play.

2. Army of The Nile

I played this march with the Petaluma Community Band (Northern California) several years ago. At the time, I was the lone euphoniumist. I loved the piece. Our director, Jimmie Reynolds, had exquisite taste in selecting our music, and this was a winner among many.

3. Army of The Nile

This is a piece I point to all the time when someone talks about how amazing Sousa was... I'm more of a K.J. Alford fan any day, diversity... no corny gimmick chromatic entries at the beginning of everything.

Army of The Nile

This march is frequently played at a significantly slower tempo than straight 112 per minute (which is, I believe, the standard Brit "quick march" tempo). I believe the Brits have a term for it, but I've long since forgotten it.

At any rate, I've played this march so often it's STILL a head chart!

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)