Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DciGuy96
    • Aug 2013

My all around piece for euphonium is "Trombone King" by King. It is amazing from beginning to end and my all time favorite part is the Trio.

Comment

• UCFEuph
      • Oct 2013

Some of my favorite band music that has good Euphonium parts

Suite of Old American Dances by Robert Russell Bennett -That has some pretty awesome Euphonium parts and it also has a solo that's not technically hard but it does require lots of air.

October by Eric Whitacre- One of the most beautiful pieces I've ever played and that solo is absolutely gorgeous when played right.

Danish Folk Music Suite by Percy Grainger transcribed by Joe Kreines- Probably one of the hardest pieces I've ever played (I played the Baritone Horn part) but it has some really nice Euphonium moments in it.

Fingal's Cave Overture by Felix Mendelssohn trans. Frank Winterbottom- One of the hardest pieces I've ever played. The one I see in the excerpt book is in C minor while the one I played was in Bb minor.

Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor by Alexander Borodin (Unknown who transcribed it but it's from the Chappell thing most old band transcriptions are from)- Again another really hard piece but it had some really nice moments and there was even a solo in the second movement and there was a ton of runs that took me a really long time to get down.
      Al
      Valencia College 2013
      UCF (GO KNIGHTS!)
      Studying Music Education as a Major

Weapons of Brass Destruction -
      Euphonium - 1969 Besson Imperial with a Denis Wick SM3U Mouthpiece
      Tenor Trombone - 2011 Getzen Eterna with a Schilke 51 D Mouthpiece

I play in various ensembles at Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and anywhere else that needs either a Trombone or Euphonium player in the Central Florida area.

Comment

• K_Aufderhar
        • Nov 2012

In terms of original band works, I would say that Lincolnshire Posy (Grainger), Colonial Song (Grainger), Second Suite in F (Holst), George Washington Bicentennial (Sousa), and The Stars and Stripes Forever (Sousa) all have wonderful parts showcasing the euphonium. As far as transcriptions, A Moorside Suite (Holst trans. Jacob), and Festive Overture (Shostakovich trans. Hunsberger) have fantastic euphonium parts.

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
        1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
        Acadian Wind Symphony
        University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

Comment

• AlaskEuph
          • Apr 2013

I love playing Grainger's Children's March,Iirish Tune of County Derry, Handel In The Strand, I forget the name of the piece, it was a medley of Alford Marches, I think the title is Colonel Bogey On Parade. Other fun pieces are Fingals Cave and the Finale to Tchaikosky Symphony 4. The Holst Suites are the best examples of euphonium parts.

Comment

• LD3
            • Sep 2013

Symphony in C Minor, especially Movement 3. By Ernest Williams. Written for band and not an arrangement of an orchestral piece, so maybe that's why the euphonium part is so juicy... According to Wikipedia, it was the first symphony written by an American strictly for band (don't know if that's right). I got to play it in 1984 as a high school senior in the same concert I gave a solo performance of the HL Clarke Carnival of Venice, the highlight of my musical life still.

Comment

• Pnogard
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by PatRyan44 View Post
              Has anyone played Give Us This Day by Maslanka? Not exactly a eupho showcase, but it has some haunting melodies in the first movement that euphos get to participate and solo in, at substantial range.
              Indeed I have played this, sadly I was the #3 euphonium so I didn't play the solos (it was a huge all-state band) but it was quite enjoyable. The solos were not the most amazing thing, but the part itself was quite nice, very interesting melodies, harmonies. Emotional, fascinating piece.

Comment

• highpitch
                • Mar 2006

The Techili rendition of Shenandoah. Great euph opener.

Carrickfergus for full concert band, Dutch version.

DDG

Comment

• Simes
                  • May 2016

I love Goff Richards writing for euphonium, whether it is solo or ensemble. Edward Gregson is a master, as are Gilbert Vinter and Eric Ball for traditional brass band parts. The two John Golland Concertos are exquisite. Favourite test pieces obviously include glorious euph parts - Peter Graham's The Essence Of Time, Gregson's Connotations, Philip Wilby's Paganini Variations and Revelation (the duet is utterly sublime), Eric Ball's Resurgam.... the list is huge!
                  1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
                  Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

Comment

• JasonDonnelly
                    • Nov 2015

A few pieces I've played over the last few years with fun euphonium parts...

Machu Picchu: City in the Sky (Satoshi Yagasawa)- some amazingly cool runs and some nice soaring parts with the horns...near the end there's a really fun scale figure that goes down really fast with the tubas

Pictures at an Exhibition (trans. Merlin Patterson)-the Bydlo solo is sadly a horn tutti, but there's still plenty of great stuff to play...interval jumping in Gnomus...solo in the 2nd promenade...great low brass stuff in Catacombs...all the chromatic figures in Baba Jaga...and of course glorious moments in Great Gate (along with a run from F above the bass staff down to low C below the staff). Not to mention muted parts!

Aspen Jubilee (Ron Nelson)-awesome parts doubled with the tuba that go down below the staff occasionally...and some great counter-melodies with both the woodwinds and the vocalist in the middle.

La Mezquita de Cordoba (Julie Giroux)- there's one particular 16th note lick with the horns that I just love. Also, some of the best use of split parts I've ever seen in euphonium band parts.
                    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
                    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
                    Courtois 551BHRA
                    Conn 88HCLSGX
                    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Comment

• K_Aufderhar
                      • Nov 2012

I completely agree with you JasonDonnelly!

I played Machu Picchu in high school and the euphonium part was wonderful. The unison part with the horns during the climax was always a challenge (I was only a sophomore!). Thank goodness our horn section was stacked, so they nailed it every time. I haven't played Aspen Jubilee, but my high school did it a few years before I got there. I also own the score and am fairly familiar with it. All of the parts are wonderful in that piece! Another Nelson piece that comes to mind with a great (and hard!) euphonium part is Rocky Point Holiday.

If I was to add a piece to this thread that hasn't been mentioned, I would say a great piece with a really good euphonium part is David Gillingham's Heroes, Lost and Fallen (which I also happened to play in high school).

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
                      1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
                      Acadian Wind Symphony
                      University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

We're preparing for our first concert of the season with an 'all Russian' composer line up. There's a really nice euphonium part for "March in B-flat Major, Op. 99" (Prokofiev, arr. Paul Yoder). It has a nice singing melody over lots of after beats... around 40 seconds. Later that same melody is in unison.

March in B-flat Major, Op. 99 - USCG Band at Midwest Clinic:
                        Rick Floyd
                        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                        Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                          We're preparing for our first concert of the season with an 'all Russian' composer line up. There's a really nice euphonium part for "March in B-flat Major, Op. 99" (Prokofiev, arr. Paul Yoder). It has a nice singing melody over lots of after beats... around 40 seconds. Later that same melody is in unison.

March in B-flat Major, Op. 99 - USCG Band at Midwest Clinic:
                          Gee, I haven't played that in a very long time. Terrific march. Great to hear it again.

Comment

• RickF
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                            Gee, I haven't played that in a very long time. Terrific march. Great to hear it again.
                            Agreed!

It was because of this march that Alfred Reed was commissioned to write "Russian Christmas Music". Back in 1944 a concert was aimed at improving American–Soviet relations. They had planned to premier a new Russian piece along with a new American piece. They had planned to premier "March Op. 99" (Prokofiev). They discovered that it had already been performed in the USA. So, Alfred Reed was commissioned to write a new piece. He wrote "Russian Christmas Music" in just 16 days! This piece is still a favorite of many bandsmen.

Source:
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Christmas_Music

Last edited by RickF; 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM.
                            Rick Floyd
                            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                            Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• daviste
                              • Jan 2016

Maslanka and Alfred Reed can write some pretty great euphonium parts. I've played a couple of their pieces, some of which were symphonies, and I was never even remotely disappointed.
                              T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
                              G&W Kadja

Comment

• djwpe
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by daviste View Post
                                Maslanka and Alfred Reed can write some pretty great euphonium parts. I've played a couple of their pieces, some of which were symphonies, and I was never even remotely disappointed.
                                David Maslanka definitely wrote (past tense due to his untimely passing last year) great euph parts. Possibly because his son Matthew is a euph player.

Don Winston
                                (who cares what instrument or mouthpiece I play?)

Comment

Working...
                                X