Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best band music for euphonium

Best band music for euphonium

What band piece has the "best" euphonium part? Not necessarily the hardest or the best solo, but the most fun to play. Any thoughts...

I'll open with the Russlan and Ludmilla Overture.

Mike

I really like Symphony #3 "Slavyanskaya" by Boris Kozhevnikov. There are no solos, but there is euphonium duet and a lot of great melodic lines. I liked it so much I arranged the first movement for tuba/euphonium ensemble which was debuted at the University of Northern Iowa.

I would absolutely suggest the 1st movement of Holst's 2nd Suite in F. The euphonium solo there is there perfect example of good use of the euphonium.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Best band music for euphonium

The Holst piece is what inspired me to switch to euphonium from trombone in high school. I still love playing it to this day (and still crack the G!).

Patrick McNeal

5. Best band music for euphonium

I second Dave's suggestion. Its as if the entire 1st movement is written around the euphonium. One doesn't see that very often.

6. Best band music for euphonium

While I agree with the Holst 1st Suite in F for original compositions, my favorite transcription (for its Euphonium part) is excerpts from the opera Andrea Chenier. The Boosey/Hawkes version has extensive Euphonium soloes opposite the cornet. The Jim Curnow version was written as a tribute to Leonard Falcone and originally performed by Earle Louder. It is virtually a Euphonium solo from beginning to end!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I too am, and always will be, "in love" with Holst's 2nd Suite in F. Yet, I have never performed it. I am looking forward to the day! - Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

8. Best band music for euphonium

I agree with all the pieces suggested so far on this thread. All great examples. Personally, the piece that I enjoy playing the most (in an ensemble) is "The Melody Shop" by King. Aside from the fact that it is one of the few pieces that really showcases the Euphonium's ability to play fast, it is just tons of fun to play! It sits very nicely on the Euphonium (mostly because of the fact that King was a baritone/euphonium player).
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

9. Best band music for euphonium

well, echoing what Doug Einstein mentioned.. Arthur talks ALOT about Andrea Chenier - Grand Scenes. Doug, could this be what he is speaking of? Are we all missing a great piece of music here?

10. Best band music for euphonium

I am pretty certain that the Andrea Chenier that Arthur is talking about is the Boosey&Hawkes transcription. I suppoes the title could be "Grand Scenes from the Opera Andrea Chenier"?

Just this summer, Don Flickinger of the Blue Lake Summer Music Camp rolled out the Jim Curnow transcription. It is quite different. Instead of a soloistic conversation between the cornet and euphonium, it is almost all euphonium arias.

This is a HUGE euphonium number. I played the older transcription in 1971 when I was in junior college. I remember playing it for a concert in which Leonard Smith was the guest cornet soloist. After the performance, he said to the director (in my hearing) "Hmmm, lots of euphonium in that one!". I think that was his way of sending a compliment.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast