Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Best band music for euphonium

1. Quote Originally Posted by PatRyan44 View Post
    Has anyone played Give Us This Day by Maslanka? Not exactly a eupho showcase, but it has some haunting melodies in the first movement that euphos get to participate and solo in, at substantial range.
    Indeed I have played this, sadly I was the #3 euphonium so I didn't play the solos (it was a huge all-state band) but it was quite enjoyable. The solos were not the most amazing thing, but the part itself was quite nice, very interesting melodies, harmonies. Emotional, fascinating piece.

The Techili rendition of Shenandoah. Great euph opener.

Carrickfergus for full concert band, Dutch version.

DDG

I love Goff Richards writing for euphonium, whether it is solo or ensemble. Edward Gregson is a master, as are Gilbert Vinter and Eric Ball for traditional brass band parts. The two John Golland Concertos are exquisite. Favourite test pieces obviously include glorious euph parts - Peter Graham's The Essence Of Time, Gregson's Connotations, Philip Wilby's Paganini Variations and Revelation (the duet is utterly sublime), Eric Ball's Resurgam.... the list is huge!
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

A few pieces I've played over the last few years with fun euphonium parts...

Machu Picchu: City in the Sky (Satoshi Yagasawa)- some amazingly cool runs and some nice soaring parts with the horns...near the end there's a really fun scale figure that goes down really fast with the tubas

Pictures at an Exhibition (trans. Merlin Patterson)-the Bydlo solo is sadly a horn tutti, but there's still plenty of great stuff to play...interval jumping in Gnomus...solo in the 2nd promenade...great low brass stuff in Catacombs...all the chromatic figures in Baba Jaga...and of course glorious moments in Great Gate (along with a run from F above the bass staff down to low C below the staff). Not to mention muted parts!

Aspen Jubilee (Ron Nelson)-awesome parts doubled with the tuba that go down below the staff occasionally...and some great counter-melodies with both the woodwinds and the vocalist in the middle.

La Mezquita de Cordoba (Julie Giroux)- there's one particular 16th note lick with the horns that I just love. Also, some of the best use of split parts I've ever seen in euphonium band parts.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

I completely agree with you JasonDonnelly!

I played Machu Picchu in high school and the euphonium part was wonderful. The unison part with the horns during the climax was always a challenge (I was only a sophomore!). Thank goodness our horn section was stacked, so they nailed it every time. I haven't played Aspen Jubilee, but my high school did it a few years before I got there. I also own the score and am fairly familiar with it. All of the parts are wonderful in that piece! Another Nelson piece that comes to mind with a great (and hard!) euphonium part is Rocky Point Holiday.

If I was to add a piece to this thread that hasn't been mentioned, I would say a great piece with a really good euphonium part is David Gillingham's Heroes, Lost and Fallen (which I also happened to play in high school).

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

We're preparing for our first concert of the season with an 'all Russian' composer line up. There's a really nice euphonium part for "March in B-flat Major, Op. 99" (Prokofiev, arr. Paul Yoder). It has a nice singing melody over lots of after beats... around 40 seconds. Later that same melody is in unison.

March in B-flat Major, Op. 99 - USCG Band at Midwest Clinic:
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    We're preparing for our first concert of the season with an 'all Russian' composer line up. There's a really nice euphonium part for "March in B-flat Major, Op. 99" (Prokofiev, arr. Paul Yoder). It has a nice singing melody over lots of after beats... around 40 seconds. Later that same melody is in unison.

March in B-flat Major, Op. 99 - USCG Band at Midwest Clinic:
    Gee, I haven't played that in a very long time. Terrific march. Great to hear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Gee, I haven't played that in a very long time. Terrific march. Great to hear it again.
    Agreed!

It was because of this march that Alfred Reed was commissioned to write "Russian Christmas Music". Back in 1944 a concert was aimed at improving American–Soviet relations. They had planned to premier a new Russian piece along with a new American piece. They had planned to premier "March Op. 99" (Prokofiev). They discovered that it had already been performed in the USA. So, Alfred Reed was commissioned to write a new piece. He wrote "Russian Christmas Music" in just 16 days! This piece is still a favorite of many bandsmen.

Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Christmas_Music

Last edited by RickF; 10-23-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

9. Maslanka and Alfred Reed can write some pretty great euphonium parts. I've played a couple of their pieces, some of which were symphonies, and I was never even remotely disappointed.
    T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
    G&W Kadja

Quote Originally Posted by daviste View Post
    Maslanka and Alfred Reed can write some pretty great euphonium parts. I've played a couple of their pieces, some of which were symphonies, and I was never even remotely disappointed.
    David Maslanka definitely wrote (past tense due to his untimely passing last year) great euph parts. Possibly because his son Matthew is a euph player.

Don Winston
    (who cares what instrument or mouthpiece I play?)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast