Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best band music for euphonium

Best band music for euphonium

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I'm surprised there is no mention of the Baritone part for Lincolnshire Posy. Along with the two Holst Suite's, near the top of the great concert band literature for our horns. Other Grainger favorite's are Children's March, Colonial Song and Gum Sucker's March. One other mention is the Baritone part for Florent Schmitt's Dionysiaques.

I played the Children's March in the Sydney Opera House when our community band attended a music festival there. It was a fun and light-hearted song!
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

3. Reviving the old gem again... but I just HAD to post something about our recent concert. My (very good) college Wind Ensemble just played Symphonic Dances from West Side Story (the direct transcription, grade six) and An American in Paris (again, a direct transcription, grade six), among other things. Yes, both in the same concert - and we pulled it off, too. Some killer Euphonium licks in both! Honestly, the best music I've played in concert. Ever. Certainly one of those concerts that reminds you why you do what you do. Such fun, fun music! (After, of course, you put in the long, grueling hours with a ticking metronome in a windowless room). When we were about halfway through West Side, I was so sad that it was the last time I'd be playing it...

Right now I'm liking "Valdres." The 2nd iteration of the main melody is carried by the euph (granted, doubled in the low clarinets, but who hears low clarinets when a euph is playing? :-P ). It provides a good opportunity to land a few high Ab's. And it was composed by a fellow Norsky, who played the euph in its premier.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

5. Lincolnshire Posy is definitely one of my favorites, along with Johan de Meijs 2nd Symphony "The Big Apple"

6. My all around piece for euphonium is "Trombone King" by King. It is amazing from beginning to end and my all time favorite part is the Trio.

Some of my favorite band music that has good Euphonium parts

Suite of Old American Dances by Robert Russell Bennett -That has some pretty awesome Euphonium parts and it also has a solo that's not technically hard but it does require lots of air.

October by Eric Whitacre- One of the most beautiful pieces I've ever played and that solo is absolutely gorgeous when played right.

Danish Folk Music Suite by Percy Grainger transcribed by Joe Kreines- Probably one of the hardest pieces I've ever played (I played the Baritone Horn part) but it has some really nice Euphonium moments in it.

Fingal's Cave Overture by Felix Mendelssohn trans. Frank Winterbottom- One of the hardest pieces I've ever played. The one I see in the excerpt book is in C minor while the one I played was in Bb minor.

Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor by Alexander Borodin (Unknown who transcribed it but it's from the Chappell thing most old band transcriptions are from)- Again another really hard piece but it had some really nice moments and there was even a solo in the second movement and there was a ton of runs that took me a really long time to get down.
    Al
    Valencia College 2013
    UCF (GO KNIGHTS!)
    Studying Music Education as a Major

Weapons of Brass Destruction -
    Euphonium - 1969 Besson Imperial with a Denis Wick SM3U Mouthpiece
    Tenor Trombone - 2011 Getzen Eterna with a Schilke 51 D Mouthpiece

I play in various ensembles at Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and anywhere else that needs either a Trombone or Euphonium player in the Central Florida area.

In terms of original band works, I would say that Lincolnshire Posy (Grainger), Colonial Song (Grainger), Second Suite in F (Holst), George Washington Bicentennial (Sousa), and The Stars and Stripes Forever (Sousa) all have wonderful parts showcasing the euphonium. As far as transcriptions, A Moorside Suite (Holst trans. Jacob), and Festive Overture (Shostakovich trans. Hunsberger) have fantastic euphonium parts.

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

9. I love playing Grainger's Children's March,Iirish Tune of County Derry, Handel In The Strand, I forget the name of the piece, it was a medley of Alford Marches, I think the title is Colonel Bogey On Parade. Other fun pieces are Fingals Cave and the Finale to Tchaikosky Symphony 4. The Holst Suites are the best examples of euphonium parts.

Symphony in C Minor, especially Movement 3. By Ernest Williams. Written for band and not an arrangement of an orchestral piece, so maybe that's why the euphonium part is so juicy... According to Wikipedia, it was the first symphony written by an American strictly for band (don't know if that's right). I got to play it in 1984 as a high school senior in the same concert I gave a solo performance of the HL Clarke Carnival of Venice, the highlight of my musical life still.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast