X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eusaeuph6668
    • Jun 2010

Best band music for euphonium

In about 1967, 8th Army Band and 7th ID Band played a joint concert in Citizens' Hall, a huge barn in downtown Seoul. We played the Berlioz Roman Carnival overture, with a lovely euph solo covering an aria melody which was then repeated, I believe, on the oboe. Not at all technically demanding, but such a beautiful soaring melody that I will never forget playing it in that space. Have never seen or played it since.

Comment

• fsung
      • Feb 2008

[edit]Not exactly marches, but since a few posts up-thread have slipped over into "great euph parts" rather than "great marches for euph" per se,[/edit]

Two brief, but satisfying excerpts from medleys of John Williams' movie themes deserve mention:

"Princess Leia's Theme" from Star Wars (back when it was still just "Star Wars"), the melody of which most of you are probably familiar; and

"Can You Read My Mind," from Superman (see attached).

Got to play both in HS on American-style euphs.: Princess Leia's Theme on a King 625; Can You Read on a King 2266, and have wanted to play them on a Brit-style horn ever since.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BoneDoubler
        • Jun 2010

The conductor of my community band seems to enjoy programming music with great euphonium parts. Here are a few of the highlights from the past three seasons:

Holst -- Suite No. 2 in F

Shostakovich/Hunsberger -- Festive Overture

Bennett -- Suite of Old American Dances

Grainger -- Irish Tune from County Derry

Sousa -- The Stars and Stripes Forever, Washington Post, Manhattan Beach, and quite a few more classic marches

Vaughan Williams -- Folk Song Suite

I played all of these on an American-style euph, either a 1963 Conn 14-I or a 1950 King 1165. It will be interesting to try them again on my Besson if any of them appear on our summer concert programs.

Comment

• Brandon449
          • Jun 2010

I love Chorale and Capriccio.

Comment

• tampaworth
            • Nov 2010

OK 4 months too late for this post.... but in the Sound of Music arrangement we play when I get to blast out the solo for Edelweiss over the top of the band nothing else much compares it's like it was made for the Euphonium! oh yeah I better not mess it up either -- sorta get nervous about that winks

Bob Tampa FL USA
            Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
            Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• PatRyan44
              • Dec 2010

Has anyone played Give Us This Day by Maslanka? Not exactly a eupho showcase, but it has some haunting melodies in the first movement that euphos get to participate and solo in, at substantial range.

This link will give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FqzIS1dEw

Comment

• bbocaner
                • May 2009

Haven't played it, but his son is a very good euphonium player -- so it wouldn't suprise me if he has an extraordinary sensibility for the instrument!

--
                Barry

Comment

• BCbari
                  • Jan 2008

David Maslanka:

Symphony No.5, Mvt. III - 9-10mins of a Euphonium solo, entire mvt.

Symphony No.8 has a lot of exposed Euphonium lines in a somewhat soloistic manor.

Comment

• jeffo
                    • Mar 2010

There are a number of band transcriptions of orchestral works where euphs get really excellent parts. Just a few of my favorites:

Pictures at an Exhibition (the Goldman Band version)

Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave

Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (Finale)

The band version of Holst's Planets (Jupiter)

Wagner's Die Miestersinger

A really gorgeous euph part that I haven't played or even seen the music to for a LONG time is Grainger's Colonial Song. If memory serves there's a really beautiful duo with the euph and cornet.

Comment

• ERocky
                      • Nov 2010

my high school just recently got a more low brass oriented band director so im just getting good parts compared to several years before but i like Ammerland by Jacob de Haan

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                        • Mar 2012

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I'm surprised there is no mention of the Baritone part for Lincolnshire Posy. Along with the two Holst Suite's, near the top of the great concert band literature for our horns. Other Grainger favorite's are Children's March, Colonial Song and Gum Sucker's March. One other mention is the Baritone part for Florent Schmitt's Dionysiaques.

Comment

• Anson
                          • Dec 2012

I played the Children's March in the Sydney Opera House when our community band attended a music festival there. It was a fun and light-hearted song!
                          My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

Comment

• Gatetrek
                            • Feb 2009

Reviving the old gem again... but I just HAD to post something about our recent concert. My (very good) college Wind Ensemble just played Symphonic Dances from West Side Story (the direct transcription, grade six) and An American in Paris (again, a direct transcription, grade six), among other things. Yes, both in the same concert - and we pulled it off, too. Some killer Euphonium licks in both! Honestly, the best music I've played in concert. Ever. Certainly one of those concerts that reminds you why you do what you do. Such fun, fun music! (After, of course, you put in the long, grueling hours with a ticking metronome in a windowless room). When we were about halfway through West Side, I was so sad that it was the last time I'd be playing it...

Comment

• DaveBj
                              • Oct 2011

Right now I'm liking "Valdres." The 2nd iteration of the main melody is carried by the euph (granted, doubled in the low clarinets, but who hears low clarinets when a euph is playing? :-P ). It provides a good opportunity to land a few high Ab's. And it was composed by a fellow Norsky, who played the euph in its premier.
                              David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                              2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                              2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                              2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                              Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                              Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• NateRoyer
                                • Aug 2012

Lincolnshire Posy is definitely one of my favorites, along with Johan de Meijs 2nd Symphony "The Big Apple"

Comment

Working...
                                X