Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best band music for euphonium

1. Best band music for euphonium

Would have to be the B&H piece, Doctor Doug; Arthur talked about it alot and he did retire in 1971. I have never seen it. Think I have the Marine Band on tape, playing it, but will have to look. Must have 50 Marine Band tapes Arthur sent me, and I forget what I have after awhile.

2. Best band music for euphonium

I have to go with Dave's choice of the Holst 2nd Suite. Ruslan & Ludmilla is a goodie, too. The first couple of lines of Pineapple Poll is both terrifying and exhilarating. I recently played a Suite From Carmen that gave just about the entire Toreador's Song to the euph, that was big fun, too!

Sorry, can't pick just one...

3. Best band music for euphonium

Can't beat the two Holst suites, especially no.2 mvt. 1.

For lyrical playing, I also enjoy some of Grainger's arrangements, particularly "Irish Tune from County Derry" and "Australian Upcountry Tune." That one always gets me a bit choked up when it's played well.

Tom

Best band music for euphonium

Speaking of the Holst Suites, I work for an orchestra which is currently having a concert right now. In the repertoire for this morning, they are playing Dargason from the St Paul Suite. This is a transcription from Fantasy on the Dargason from Holst's Second Suite in F. Needless to say, with all strings, it sounds very lackluster especially with a cello trying to play the euphonium part.

5. Best band music for euphonium

Originally posted by: uieuph
    This is a transcription from Fantasy on the Dargason from Holst's Second Suite in F. Needless to say, with all strings, it sounds very lackluster especially with a cello trying to play the euphonium part.
    There oughta be a law against that!

Originally posted by: WyoBadger

Originally posted by: uieuph

This is a transcription from Fantasy on the Dargason from Holst's Second Suite in F. Needless to say, with all strings, it sounds very lackluster especially with a cello trying to play the euphonium part.

There oughta be a law against that!
    Well, considering that Holst finished composing St. Paul's Suite for Orchestra, Op. 29 no. 2 (1912) a year after Second Suite in F (1911), I'd say he had the right to do whatever the heck he wanted to with it.

7. Best band music for euphonium

i personally like 4 scottish dances, im not a marches kind of guy. 3rd mvmnt is my fav, but i like all of them except the last one, very tricky trying to get through that accelerando.

8. Best band music for euphonium

if i had to choose a march, then it would be circus bee, its so energetic and most recordings have the band flying by the end (like us). btw, for those who havent played it, the tempo marking given it simply "fast" and thats it.

Now, that i think about it, english folk song suite was very fun (2nd mvt is my favorite, key of f minor i think, then f major, then back). or havendance, or most of steven reineke's music, or irish tune from county derry or 2 grainger melodies (small euph solo in second mvt). all of thhem are beautiful. also, our director loves euph music, in case u guys cant tell

Hmm...so many to choose from! I do like both Holst suites; I have only played the first, but I enjoy hearing both of them.

Now, the Hunsberger transcription of Shostakovich's "Festive Overture" is a doozy, but it was nevertheless among the most fun pieces I've ever played. I also love Hindemith's "March from Symphonic Metamorphoses".

And, of course, "When Jesus Wept". (Well, maybe "fun" isn't the word for this one...but beautiful nonetheless.) IMHO, the orchestral version and its oboe/bassoon duet, while good, can never match the band version for beauty.

Like Walt said, can't pick just one.

10. Best band music for euphonium

I agree noise, I have played when jesus wept with my high school band and it was amazing fun for me.. (it wasn't too much fun for everyone besides the euph and the trumpet/cornet)
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast