Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Valve Models

Three Valve Models

I started to play the euphonium in sixth grade (we called it a baritone back then). It was a font valve model, with a detachable forward facing bell. I really loved that horn. In college, I switched to an upright, with top valves. I haven't played in a long while, but I was thinking of getting back to playing just for my personal enjoyement. I was always happiest with the three front facing valve type of horn, so I am very tied to the idea of getting one of these.

My question is, what would any of you recommond for a valve front model? I don't care if it's a forward bell or not, as long as it doesn't detach. Would you recommend a new model, and if so, what are the best of these 'student-type' euphoniums? Is Jupiter good? King? Or, would you look for a good, used, or refurbished model; if so, what were the good models of this type "back in the day?"

Thanks.

Scotus

2. Three Valve Models

I dont know much about those Euphoniums. I do know Woodwind and Brasswind has a free catalog and they have those euphoniums in their brass section. You can call and request the catalog its free.

3. Three Valve Models

Look on eBay at the Euphoniums and Baritones. Conn, King, and Holton amoung others made 3 valve bell front models. Personaly, I think the Yorks made in Grand Rapids were the best, but Conn, King and Holton are in the running. Your best bet would be to check out the local repair shops and see what they have. Then get a good mouthpiece (51D, SM4) and start playing. You should be able to get a horn for under $300.00 that would be acceptable to get started in some local bands.

Then, if you decide you need more, you will still have a great parade horn.

Three Valve Models

Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate the advice. It is appreciated it.

Scotus

5. Three Valve Models

Have a look at the Brass and Woodwind shop http://brassandwoodwind.ca/
    He's got a used Yamaha 641S for sale, in Canadian dollars, which you might make a deal on and it would give you a better horn than a student model for a reasonable price. Cheers

Three Valve Models

That's a Yamaha 621 not a 641. The 621 model is not a compensating euphonium.

I thought the price was too reasonable for a 641.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Three Valve Models

Well, I spoke with an instrument tech. yesterday, and he said there is really not an advantage (other than getting a more inexpensive horn) in buying a vintage horn. He said newer brands of this valve front model are very good. He recommended Yahamha. He also mentioned that Jupiter had their problems at one time, but they make a very fine horns now.

8. Three Valve Models

My recommendation for a student line three valve fixed bell baritione is the King. It has a fixed bell front with a very short neck. I have owned and plpyed one since 1961 and love it! After that I would recommend the Conn. It has a wonderful euphonium sound with a fixed (but LONG) neck. You couldn't go wrong with either horn.

9. Three Valve Models

Besson
    King
    Conn
    Olds (pre 76)
    Weril
    Yamaha
    Holton
    new Jupiter
    many companies make a decent 3v horn

I'd define whether you want a real euph, a baritone, or an Amnerican style baritone.

Three Valve Models

There are is a King on Ebay at the moment that you might be interested in;it has an upright bell with forward facing valves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/King-627-e...3QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- Carroll Arbogast
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast