Thread: Weber's bassoon concerto and other bassoon solos on euph

1. Weber's bassoon concerto and other bassoon solos on euph

Has anyone ever tried Weber's bassoon concerto (op. 75) on euphonium? It looks/sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but I've never heard of a euphonium player doing it.

Also, what are some other good bassoon solos commonly played on euphonium? (I've always had a fascination with the bassoon, haha) The biggest two that come to mind are Mozart's Concerto in Bb and the Telemann Sonata in F minor.

Weber's bassoon concerto and other bassoon solos on euph

Those are good pieces for euphonium. I played the Mozart (all 3 movements) for my senior recital in college. I liked it so much I arranged the first movement and did it as my first solo with the Coast Guard Band. (That arrangement for solo with small wind ensemble is published by Cimarron Music.)

You might also take a look at the Hummel Bassoon Concerto in F. Tough, but fun!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Weber's bassoon concerto and other bassoon solos on euph

I've heard a crazy recording of a euphonium on Gordon Jacobs Bassoon Concerto. Also the Saint-Saens Sonata is a dozy. I have the Von Weber concerto I do enjoy it. Your Bassoon Music for Euphonium are some good ones.

Weber's bassoon concerto and other bassoon solos on euph

Mozart's bassoon concerto is alright. Steven Mead does a great job with it on the Soundinnbrass Austria Brassin' Mozart 2006 CD. I used the Rondo of it for my university senior recital. For the cadenza, I made up my own cadenza which is basically a descending bouncing chromatic scale from mid F, down 2 octaves to low F and bounce downroads. When I get to low F, I bounce it down chromaticallyand gradually slower to pedal F. I can't remember how I end up getting to back to the tune, been too long since I played it.

Galliard Sonata Volume 1 was orginally for bassoon and keyboard. I like the Second Sonata apart from how the 2 triplet patterns in the spiritoso e allegro is a bit of a finger twister for me.