Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

Originally posted by: EHenshaw

...I'm having trouble on finding places to breathe. Does anyone have any tips on where to breathe...
    I never found a way to play it without leaving out notes here and there. If there is another euphonium or two in the band, they can take over on some of the easier runs (like the scales running upwards). If there are no other euphoniums, you might get the tenor sax to cover for you on some of those runs to so you take a little air.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Man, that director must be really PO'd at you.

My only suggestion would be to try circular breathing, but if you don't already know how to do it, learning how to do it might be more trouble than it's worth.

3. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

Originally posted by: dwerden

Originally posted by: EHenshaw

...I'm having trouble on finding places to breathe. Does anyone have any tips on where to breathe...

I never found a way to play it without leaving out notes here and there. If there is another euphonium or two in the band, they can take over on some of the easier runs (like the scales running upwards). If there are no other euphoniums, you might get the tenor sax to cover for you on some of those runs to so you take a little air.
    Thanks for the reply.

There are two other euphoniums in the band, so I'll see if they could play a run or two for me to catch my breath.

4. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

Originally posted by: mclaugh

Man, that director must be really PO'd at you.
    Haha, maybe I somehow made him really angry. Funny story though, when I was talking to him about my difficulty playing it as a solo, he told me that it's possible for me to do, because he saw a euph player in the Virginia Grand Military Band (a band comprised of many current and former premier military band players) play it as a solo. Because of this, he said "so you shouldn't have any problem playing it," and then let out a big laugh.

5. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

I saw the 3D MARINE AIRCRAFT WING BAND play melody shop... it was awesome
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

Have you seen Grafton H.S. playing this on YouTube? The eupher comes out in front of the band for the trio. Very impressive I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...kxJ7eU&feature=related
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

I hate this song. lol Nah, it's okay, but I just started playing again after not playing for over 12 years, and the director of the community band I'm in decided to pull this one out. Craziness. It's a bit easier to play on baritone, but it's just crazy.

8. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

Go to iTunes/search:bandman to hear a big band version of The Melody Shop.

You'll never listen to the march version again. It's awesome!

I'm playing Melody Shop for my high school's spring concert and it is quite a humbling piece to say the least....

Should I circular breathe at all for this or is leaving out notes OK.

10. Melody Shop and The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

The couple of times that I have performed the Melody Shop I have either traded off with the other euphonium players in the section so that no notes get left out... If you don't want to trade off then spend some time going through the fast and difficult sections and be very very selective with what notes you leave out.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast