Thread: Listening to a military band rehearsal

1. Listening to a military band rehearsal

I'm going up to D.C. the week of August 14th. Hope to hear the Navy Band at the Navy Memorial on Monday night and plan to visit the Marine Barracks on Tuesday and listen to Marine Band rehearsal. Weather is the factor for the Monday evening concert but no problem with Tuesday, its indoors.

I was in D.C. late July and early August of 2004. I went down to the Marine Barracks (by the way they have moved a few blocks away) and I sat in the back of the rehearsal hall on three different occasions and listened to the Marine Band rehearse. Let me tell you, if you are a serious listener, you won't want to attend a concert - just go to the rehearsal. You can pick up a lot just sitting there and watching and listening. What a fabulous band and a unique opportunity to hear those professionals play.

2. Listening to a military band rehearsal

Back from my D.C. trip. Saw Arthur twice while I was there. Heard the Navy Band on the steps of the Capitol Monday night, chatted with Roger Behrend again, nice guy. Tuesday went to the Marine Barracks and listened to the Band rehearse. Fabulous. Tuba and xylphone solos. Tuba solo was Barat's Intro and Dance Tuba Solo I have a recording of Raymond Young playing this....
    Encore tuba The Caricoa fantastic, have a Harvey Phillips recording, too, from ITEA...Master Gunnery Sgt John Cradler was the soloist. I wanted to chat with Phil Franke but couldn't get to him during the break, I think he ducked out the back door for a cup of coffee. Capt. Michelle Rakers conducted the Band, she does a nice job, too.