Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Let's start a discussion of your "other" tastes in music. I wonder if we have other tastes in common???

My other listening includes Doc Severinsen, big bands, and oldies (OK, I"m old).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • whall1946
    • Jun 2006

Dave, you said "other" tastes, that means outside of our generally agreed upon listening. What do we all agree on? Euphonium solo CDs, trombone and tuba solo CDs, Brass ensemble CDs, Brass Band CDs?

I wonder how wide our Concert Band/Wind Ensemble listening tastes are? For instance, any Igor STravinsky, Arnold Schoenberg, Vincent Persichetti, or Paul Hindemith fans out there? Any David Diamond, Michael Colgrass, or Michael Daugherty fans?

I've been enjoying Civil War band recordings lately--my newest "taste." I also love Harmoniemusik.

Comment

• keithbarton
      • Mar 2006

Sort of depends on the mood of the day... I DON'T listen to music on the radio very much. Although we do have an "NPR" like community station that plays all sorts of good stuff. Good to me, anyway. I'll go on a tear of Teike music, or Von Blon, then switch over to country music,, old country music from the 40s and 50s. Sometimes I pull out my Elvis stuff. I like Ray Charles. Stevie Wonder. Like most of the 60's pop music. I have a complete collection of everything the Moody Blues have recorded. I can't name too many types of music that I don't like, except for Rap. On the way to work this morning and last week, I listened to the best of Herb Alpert and some British Brass band music. See what I mean? But Dave, this is a loaded question/topic: you know we all are solidly hooked on euphonium music (or tuba for our bigger friends)

Comment

• Harry
        • Sep 2006

Many great names have already been mentioned:Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder,Stravinsky, Big
        Bands. All types of jazz are fun: Armstrong, Ellington, Clark Terry, Miles, Parker, and of course RICH MATTESON. In 1979 Rich came to Glassboro State College and performed with the college big band. They played about six charts that Rich wrote to feature himself. I have this concert on cassette. His solo's are amazing. And on a different note don't forget the Beatles. Listen closely to their recording of "Martha My Dear" and you will hear a tuba doubleing the bass line along with the piano.

Rich said " Always play for someone you love"

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
          • Feb 2006

almost anything, but being a videogame geek, especially Final Fantasy games, I have "Those who fight further" by The Black mages going through my head right now. It's a rock band with the composer for all the Final Fantasy games (except X-2... and you can really tell).

Comment

• uieuph
            • Dec 2005

I'm quite a blues fan. Outside of that I'm into Aerosmith and a variety of others.

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

Well this might be cheating some since there is a tuba in this recording - but there are no euphs

Lately I've been listening to a great ensemble recording of the Empire Brass called, "Class Brass on the Edge". It's from 1993 when Sam Pilafian was on tuba. It's one of the best ensemble recordings I've ever heard... all classic pieces. They play "Festive Overture" at about 180 I think - very tight. Sheesh these guys can sure play!

Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Class Brass

That Class Brass CD is one of my very favorites from Empire! You can find it linked on my Tuba CD page to both the CD and to the iTunes download:

Empire Brass - Class Brass
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• lowerbrass
                  • Oct 2006

Youtube

Lately I've been exploring some of the great videos on Youtube. I'm a jazz fan and there are many videos of Bill Evans from the 60's available. Just search Bill Evans. Also, for you trumpet fans, there is a video from the Ed Sullivan show with the Stan Kenton band. Not long after Ferguson joined the band Shorty Rogers wrote a piece called "Maynard Ferguson" and the performance is available on Youtube. The recording can be found on "Stan Kenton Presents" Dont hesitate to search Euphonium or Tuba. There's not much yet, but it's growing.

Comment

• Euphist
                    • Oct 2006

Youtube

yeah.. i love YouTube. its at YouTube

Comment

• suetuba
                      • May 2006

I like mediaeval and renaissance music, for non-tuba listening, interesting timbres.
                      And of course, Mozart. I'm sure he would have written for tuba if ...............

Comment

• Wingfield
                        • Dec 2006

Well, I love to listen to drum corps. But I don't think that fits the criteria.

I have very varied tastes in music. Classically speaking, I listen to a large amount of contemporary classical composers such as Eric Whitacre, Alfred Reed, Samueal Barber, Richard Saucedo, Philip Glass, etc... I also enjoy baroque, classical, and romantic era composers, especially Bach, Handel, and Mozart. I also like those angry little russians like Shostakovich and Stravinsky.
                        I listen to a good deal of choral music, especially Eric Whitacre. I have never heard anything quite as beautiful as Whitacre's "Sleep."

I also listen to everything from Oldies, to classic rock, to metal, to trance techno, to modern rock, bluegrass, modern jazz, ragtime, blues, jazz fusion, ska, punk, big band, and many others.
                        I like Ben Folds, Björk, Elton John, Rilo Kiley, Blueman Group, Blink 182, The Osbourne Brothers, The Allman Brothers, Pennywise, System of a Down, Glen Miller, Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Ugress, Crystal Method...

I could go on and on.

Comment

• bearphonium
                          • Jan 2007

I tend to listen to folk or "oldies" (60's-80's flavor) with a huge helping of Jimmy Buffet. Sousa marches are always good, but I don't think they count as "other". I work nights, driving about, so I have my radio stations tuned to oldies, classical, hard rock and talk radio, and change about 50 times in a 10 hour shift.

Comment

• WyoBadger
                            • Oct 2007

Hi, everybody.

My native instrument is the euphonium, but as a young adult I got into backpacking, and as some of you might know trecking throught the mountains with a euphonium just isn't happening. So I took up the tinwhistle, which got me into Scottish and Irish trad style music. Highland piping and fiddling, especially the Cape Bretton tradition, ranks very highly.

I've been doing some experimentation with euphonium and pennywhistle together. It's surprising how well they blend together, probably because they're so totally different. And I'm the only person I know doing Scottish trad on the euphonium, so at least I'm original.

This is a fun thread to read. I think it's good not to get too locked into one style. There's a big world out there. Fun stuff.

Tom
                            www.whistlingbadger.com

Comment

• SteveS
                              • Apr 2007

Don Ellis has to be my favorite, but I also still enjoy much of the work of Eddie Harris, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea. Favorite Organ CD: Michael Murray "The Organ at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine". When I want to vibrate the rafters I listen to a sound track of the Reno Air Races unlimited entries, recorded on the flight line and around the pylons.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X