Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

1. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

I like mediaeval and renaissance music, for non-tuba listening, interesting timbres.
    And of course, Mozart. I'm sure he would have written for tuba if ...............

2. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

Well, I love to listen to drum corps. But I don't think that fits the criteria.

I have very varied tastes in music. Classically speaking, I listen to a large amount of contemporary classical composers such as Eric Whitacre, Alfred Reed, Samueal Barber, Richard Saucedo, Philip Glass, etc... I also enjoy baroque, classical, and romantic era composers, especially Bach, Handel, and Mozart. I also like those angry little russians like Shostakovich and Stravinsky.
    I listen to a good deal of choral music, especially Eric Whitacre. I have never heard anything quite as beautiful as Whitacre's "Sleep."

I also listen to everything from Oldies, to classic rock, to metal, to trance techno, to modern rock, bluegrass, modern jazz, ragtime, blues, jazz fusion, ska, punk, big band, and many others.
    I like Ben Folds, Björk, Elton John, Rilo Kiley, Blueman Group, Blink 182, The Osbourne Brothers, The Allman Brothers, Pennywise, System of a Down, Glen Miller, Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Ugress, Crystal Method...

I could go on and on.

3. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

I tend to listen to folk or "oldies" (60's-80's flavor) with a huge helping of Jimmy Buffet. Sousa marches are always good, but I don't think they count as "other". I work nights, driving about, so I have my radio stations tuned to oldies, classical, hard rock and talk radio, and change about 50 times in a 10 hour shift.

4. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

Hi, everybody.

My native instrument is the euphonium, but as a young adult I got into backpacking, and as some of you might know trecking throught the mountains with a euphonium just isn't happening. So I took up the tinwhistle, which got me into Scottish and Irish trad style music. Highland piping and fiddling, especially the Cape Bretton tradition, ranks very highly.

I've been doing some experimentation with euphonium and pennywhistle together. It's surprising how well they blend together, probably because they're so totally different. And I'm the only person I know doing Scottish trad on the euphonium, so at least I'm original.

This is a fun thread to read. I think it's good not to get too locked into one style. There's a big world out there. Fun stuff.

Tom

5. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

Don Ellis has to be my favorite, but I also still enjoy much of the work of Eddie Harris, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea. Favorite Organ CD: Michael Murray "The Organ at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine". When I want to vibrate the rafters I listen to a sound track of the Reno Air Races unlimited entries, recorded on the flight line and around the pylons.

Steve

6. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

I like orchestral and Violin concertos also...

7. Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

My musical taste is pretty eclectic--I like pretty much everything except opera and rap. And even within those genres, there are a few things I like. My general everyday music is classic rock, but I also like classical, country,blues, marches, big bands, motown, ragtime, soul, etc, etc. Jazz is of interest to me, but I know little about it.

As an aspiring trumpet player, I was a big fan of Maynard Ferguson, Al Hirt and Herb Alpert. Oh, and how could I forget Doc Severinsen? He's originally from my home state of Oregon!

Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

If I'm not listening to the Classical station, I'm tuned in to Delilah in the evening. Good music from a time when melody meant something in pop music.

Ken F.

Other than Euphonium or Tuba recordings, I like to listen to...

I'd say my tastes are fairly wide-ranging. I listen the most to 60s-70s rock, esp. psychedelic and blues-rock. I'm a big Grateful Dead fan, but there aren't a lot of other jam bands I care for. I also enjoy a lot of jazz (Sonny Rollins!), some folk & country (the older the better...not the lightweight pop that passes for country on the airwaves today). Classical...I love Charles Ives, also some Stravinsky, Janacek, Walton, other random composers as the mood strikes me. That, and wind ensemble music when I can find it (not always the easiest to do).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12