Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonel Bogey March

Colonel Bogey March

I like this march for several reasons. It's a familiar melody from the movie, "Bridge Over the River Kwai" that most of the audience has seen. It has nice counter melody for the euphoniums AND it has 3 parts in places for the euphoniums. (Some arrangements only have divisi notes for the first 2 phrases I think).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Colonel Bogey March

I just had my first community band rehearsal for this season. Colonel Bogey March is in our folders, the Andrew Glover arrangement of it. This arrangement seems a touch different of what little I know about Colonel Bogey as in at measure 5 to 37, there's two different lines that are different. The 2nd time at 5 is the actual counter melody which is also in the alto sax part. There's 2 euph parts at times.

This will be the first time I will be playing it oddly enough.

3. Colonel Bogey March

Our community marching band played Col. Bogey this year. At the start of the summer, our two euph players were on 3 valve, bell fronts. Mid season, One got a Yammi 321 and the other a Yammi 642. What a difference!! They had such fun with the piece, I was jealous. (the tuba line is what it is). Since they are both super nice people, they each let me play a bit on their new horns--and both were surprised when I was able to play the first counter (5-37) pretty well...for a tuba player!

The other piece we played was Imperial March, by Karl King. That also had a great euph part. (the tuba line is pretty cool in that one, too!)

Ally"embracing the tuba with only an occasional look over her shoulder at the pretty new euphoniums"House

I have fond memories of this march. I played it with the Royal Dutch Military Police Band at the 2006 International Police Tattoo in Adelaide (Australia). Shamefully I must admit I messed up some high notes...you might hear them on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWLMkxSwIo

Welcome to the forum. Nicely done, Thanks for sharing.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Welcome, MarChant! That's a nice video - there is a certain "feel" necessary to play this march, and European bands such as your seem to have it! You folks really look elegant on the move, too. And I love seeing all those flugels on the field.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks guys. This was 10 years ago, I've left the military (and the band) since then. In the meantime the band improved and got more professional.

I just recv'd a new CD entitled, "The Very Best of Grimethorpe Colliery Band". It's new to me, but was published in 2004. It has a number of pieces the band did for the movie, "Brassed Off". My favorite is still "Colonel Bogey March", by Kenneth Alford. The jacket on the CD does not list the arranger and that's unfortunate because I really like this arr. It's better than I've played in wind bands. Really like the way the band gets quiet for the euphoniums counter melody through most of the piece.

I found a YouTube video of Grimethorpe playing this, although I think it's from a live performance since I hear one euph miss a note in the strain before the trio (not heard on the CD). It's still very good though. Does anyone know who arranged this for brass band? I think that's Michael Dodd on first euph, but not sure.

Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Colonel Bogey
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Most of those marches include parts for all the brass band instruments as well as concert bands and are playable by brass bands just by omitting all of the non-brass-band instrument parts in the original -- it's not an arrangement. I'm pretty sure that's what you're listening to. It's usually pretty nice because most of the parts are there, but it's quite a bit more transparent without all those woodwinds. I think there's a Fennell edition which is what most concert bands these days would have which omits some of this, but if you have the original you're good to go.

http://www.justmusicuk.com/publications/details/JM30291
    Last edited by bbocaner; 06-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    --
    Barry

Regardless of the arrangement/piece, one thing I've notice for decades about the British brass bands is that terrific sense of what's-important-when. You always hear the important line, and usually are hearing multiple things at once without having to strain. In this way, I often think they out-perform our best service bands. Certainly some of has to do with the smaller numbers, but it is also part of the culture. Check out this band, doing a march outdoors. There is still that transparency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DiufMqZ2w
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast