Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do I practice each day

How long do I practice each day

Being a high school student, I practice around 30-45 minutes every day. But, like the others said, the amount is only part of the total product. How much effort you put into you practice is the other part. And some of it is just natural instinct or "talent" of music. My private teacher knew a person who practiced around 20-30 minutes a day, and by the end of his Junior year in high school, played Curnow's symphonic variants like it was an easy song. He also knew another person who practiced around 1 and a half hour a day. He, by the end of his senior year, was not nearly as good as the person who practiced 20-30 minutes a day efficiently.

2. How long do I practice each day

Up front: I am an amature hobbiest euphonium player, and I have been back into playing music for not quite a month. I aim for 30-45 minutes a day, and am currently using the Rubank Elementary Band Method (with the Intermediate on the horizon) to reaquire my bass cleff skills, and to get fingerings rather than slide positions.

My goal is to get into the Arbans book eventually. I was WAY intimidated when I looked at it the day I bought the Elementary Method book, but set a goal to revisit that in six months. I find that playing is a great stress reducer, and gets my mind off of work stuff. (Full time Deputy Sheriff, patrolling a county the size of Conneticut and an unincorporated urban population of over 125K with 4 other guys on my squad).

3. How long do I practice each day

Two key things strike me right away about you: one is you see that playing is a stress reducer ( I agree ! ) and two is you have motivation. Second thing will take you a long ways. You bet! I went thru a similar breaking in period after 30 years away from the horn. My #1 suggestion is not to push too hard right away. Play lots of long, slow soft notes to build your lip. I've got the Rubank books. Good for beginning. Arban is tough for everyone but the standard. Don't let it intimidate you. I'm former local police 6 years in Mississippi, and retired federal LE from 20 years. Loving my free time to practice. At about 1.5 hours a day right now. Tuesday nights is rehearsal night and that's MY night out. Great stress reducer. Take care, watch your back, and keep your powder (gun) dry.

4. How long do I practice each day

The best Arban edition I've found for bass clef players is the fairly new arragement by Brian Bowman and Alessi. It has notes for both euphonium players and trombonists before each exercise with suggestions for how to approach each exercise (especially helpful in the articulation sections).

If I'm not mistaken, this is the complete Arban. It has the 120 melodic pieces that often get left out, all the characteristic studies (14 I believe) and all of the solos. I'm currently working on Fantasie Brillante, which is one of my favorites from the book. I use Arban as my main practice source.

My goal is two hours daily of practice, divided among scale work, various technique exercises that include intervals, double and triple tonguing, and slurs and other articulation; more scale work; work on the small melodies or longer solos, and some original composition work.

I also use the 3 volume Rochat (sp?) melodic studies (originally for trombone) and the Remington warm-up book. Lots of long tones, mouthpiece work, and range work.

In looking over a few college euphonium studio Web sites, most students it seems are expected to get through Arban in the first two years (complete book) and to know all major and minor scales at 2 octaves (3 in some cases) by then as well.

Makes sense for all of us, but certainly for we working types, over a longer period than 2 years.

5. How long do I practice each day

Got the Arbans book a couple of weeks ago. I'm still in the VERY early stages of reintegration as a musician, and loving it. Up to about an hour a day, but I do miss a day now and then.

I am playing the tuba in the community band, and loving that too. Playing the tuba has helped my low notes on the euph, and the higher range is coming with practice. Long, soft notes to the rescue!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12